Should I or shouldn't I....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
...pull the trigger on downloading Windows 10? I know there has been a lot written about this but I am on the cusp of doing it before it is no longer available as a freebee. I have an occasionally used Toshiba Win 7 laptop that I keep getting the reminder on. If there ends up being any sizable learning curve, it would be a good unit to do it on. On the other hand, I do not want to convert to a can of worms. Win 7 has been a very stable and good operating system, like XP which I am still using on two PCs.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boom, if you are going to stay with windows, you are eventually going to have to upgrade, no two ways about it, Windows 10 and newer OS is going to be the way of the future, if you have a free computer to use and learn how to use the new system, then there is really no reason not to, I have a windows 10 machine sitting here right now that both my wife and I are slowly learning to play with and learn how it works.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I ignore the invites. Staying with Windows 7 as long as possible. My company recommends not switching to it. Once my company switches, I will switch.

MS will be issuing security updates for 7 until Jan 2020.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
So far I'm not nuts about 10. I'm kinda' with Bruce: stick with 7 as long as ya' can.

Tnstratofam

Commander
My dad upgraded to 10, and his bigest complaint has been how his pictures, and some of his files are now disorganized. I'm sticking with 8.1 for a while longer.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
And just as a point of reference, my company started switching over to Windows 7 within a few months of it being introduced. Not so with 10.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I have 10 on two of my work computers. I see no reason to switch my home machines from Win7. Win10 is pretty different, especially in terms of Control Panel stuff. I prefer 7.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Neither my wife nor I have switched to windows 10 we just happen to have one of the laptops that has it on it, she still runs windows 7 64 bit professional for work and I am running windows 8.1 64 with an plug it to make it work like windows 7 with a start menu button and a normal control panel set up.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Heck I'm still using DOS! Just kidding!
For what it's worth...my daughter's Dell laptop was on Windows 7 and it seemed to be infected with something. It was running real slow, WiFi wouldn't work and was getting the blue screen if death intermittently. We upgrated to free Windows 10.... it's running great and she loves it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you really liked XP, stick with Windows 7. So far, I am not a fan of Windows 10

rogerwa

Commander
I recently opted for the upgrade to Win 10 on my 5y/o Toshiba laptop with OEM Win7. The upgrade went smoothly with the exception that it lost the user profile and booted with a temp profile. I had to enable the admin account, create a new profile and move all the data over to that profile. Other than that, it has worked very well for me. One benefit that I like is the digital entitlement that it sets up at MS. You don't need the big product key any longer. MS stores some machine identifier and validates ownership that way. My machine was old enough that I had no clue where that product key was or if I even had it. In my view this makes rebuilding your machine much easier if something were to happen or if, in my case, you want to upgrade your HD to an SSD or a larger drive.

After upgrading, as i mentioned, I upgraded to an SSD drive and loaded a fresh new copy without all the best buy preloaded stuff. I only had an app to two that didn't work but I have resolved those easily.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Heck I'm still using DOS! Just kidding!
For what it's worth...my daughter's Dell laptop was on Windows 7 and it seemed to be infected with something. It was running real slow, WiFi wouldn't work and was getting the blue screen if death intermittently. We upgrated to free Windows 10.... it's running great and she loves it.

Had some simiiar issues with my wife's laptop running 7 Pro. The Win 10 upgrade was a last-ditch effort to clean out garbage and get it running. It worked and the 'puter is stable now. Otherwise, I see no compelling reason to upgrade. I'm running 8.1 on my laptop and it's fine. Win 10 does work differently and I'm not in the mood right now for another learning curve.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not being very computer savvy, I often wonder why they change things? I mean if they are changing simply because things change, why? But if they are changing things to offer a better OS that the newer computer chips can work with better, faster and such, then I can understand that. Seems that the OS and computer hardware should be offered as a complete system and not upgrades. Because if newer computers can run older OS software, what is the difference? And when they do offer new OS, why change everything around? Why not simply utilize the older OS and work from there behind the displays and such. Why change so many things around that really offer no increased benefit? Sounds like new employees with different ideas to do the same things. Not better, just different. :noidea:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Not being very computer savvy, I often wonder why they change things? I mean if they are changing simply because things change, why? But if they are changing things to offer a better OS that the newer computer chips can work with better, faster and such, then I can understand that. Seems that the OS and computer hardware should be offered as a complete system and not upgrades. Because if newer computers can run older OS software, what is the difference? And when they do offer new OS, why change everything around? Why not simply utilize the older OS and work from there behind the displays and such. Why change so many things around that really offer no increased benefit? Sounds like new employees with different ideas to do the same things. Not better, just different. :noidea:

What I've long contended! It's often called 'change(s) for change sake" !!

oldjeep

Admiral
My .02 on old junk hardware ignore it. Most of the people complaining about Win 10 are upgrading it onto machines that should have been tossed in the trash can years ago.

I've got zero issues with Windows 10 on any of the 5 machines we have it running on, however the oldest one is 2 years old.

southkogs

Staff member
I often wonder why they change things?
Generally speaking it's for a couple of reasons: technology advances and user interface.

As technology changes, computers can do more and handle more complex programs and graphics and need more processing power and speed. For all that it was, there's quite a bit that XP just couldn't handle well now (as an OS). Newer Windows versions handle some of those things much better (that's very true in the work that I do). Mac OS has been adding all kinds of functionality - IMHO bloating the OS a little too much, but some of it is pretty slick.

I also think Microsoft is trying to build a user interface that is really compelling. Right now Mac users become pretty die hard fans of the OS because of how user friendly and intuitive it is. MS has been swimming upstream to build that kind of loyalty for years now.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I've got zero issues with Windows 10 on any of the 5 machines we have it running on, however the oldest one is 2 years old.

Wow, you are special, unfortunately, not all of us can continually buy newer machines!

:eek:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well, lifespan of a laptop is typically 4 years.

Microsoft made a statement that any computer running windows XP would be able to run windows 10, it seems that might not be the case.

I have laptops that I have been running for over 10 years that have XP Pro on them and they are not upgradeable to windows 10.

I am fortunate, I can buy a new computer every year if I want to, but many people don't have that luxury.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I only replace computers when I feel they are no longer reliable. I would also replace if I was moving to a new OS for some unknown reason and I was going to run into driver issues.

I don't use my laptop for business but I can understand needing to upgrade those way more often due to wear and tear.