Finally building an outdoor kitchen .May need some idea's /help .

southkogs

Staff member
Lookin' good! :thumb:

I think the mosaic is gonna' look good!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
hmm im not sure but how do you fish with this , and where is the outboard?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW a very ambitious design. I have to continue watching to see how that turns out. Nice.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys ... Micky I'm doing this so's I CAN fish ! ;)
gm, I hope this turns out well and not look like a kids school project ...:lol:
If I don't like it when it's done I can always chip it out and do something different ... I am pretty optimistic that I can pull it off though ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok a little insight on how I'm attempting the mosaic ... I am using the sculpy putty baking clay on all of it .... The scales are just simply made using a water bottle cap like a cookie cutter .. The admiral cut and baked all of them with my son helping also ... Baked at 275 for 15 mins per 1/4" ...
On the fins I just taped a piece of clear plastic over the drawing and traced it with a sharpie .

You have to knead the clay really well and the to make a consistent thickness I used a rolling pin with a shim on both sides to roll it flat .. Just something I had laying around that was a little over a 1/4" thick ..

Now I flipped the template over with the sharpie side to the clay and rubbed it down a bit and it left an outline on the clay for cutting ...

Then place in the oven and bake for around 25 mins or so ...

Just make sure that you place the template back on the piece before you bake .. Sometimes it will be deformed while moving over to the pan just to double check ..
Once I get all the pieces glued into place the plan is to air brush or sponge paint to make it look like as much of a real fish as possible ...
Hopefully !!!
My sister is a pretty good artist so I may get her to help me out with the painting ... She told me she would so as of now that's the plan .. After paint it will all be sealed with some sort of glaze or I may use the same that I have been using on the tile idk .... I need to see what is the best option on the sealer ...
Keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out well ....

Pusher

Lieutenant
That's really REALLY cool. You couldn't afford a design like this!

Decker83

Commander
WOW!! I just keep being amazed by all your research and ideals.. The quality of your work is excellent.. I keep showing the admiral your work and she is blown away.. You really set the bar high with this one..
You need to put up a sign in the front yard Sam's Bar & Grill..:lol:
Looking forward to seeing the final fish..
Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I told you guys Sam had a great back story to go with this mosaic. He does have unique ideas and with the entire family helping out, how could it not be a grand thing. Bravo Sam, Bravo. :thumb: :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys ! Not really a whole lot to it ... I have to do this stuff myself because I sure couldn't pay anyone to do it for me ...
I hope to have the rest of the clay baked and glued in by the end of the weekend ...I know that's wishful thinking ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Finally have all the tile installed and grouted ... This pic is before grout ..

Got someone coming over next Saturday to do the painting on the fish .. Also installed the rest of my electrical receptacles on the bar and installed the under counter fridge ... Cooling beverages as we speak ! ;) If it was an 1/8" taller it would have never fit .. :lol:
Gunna try and hook up the sink this week sometime ... Cheers everyone !!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
X1000

Excellent work, I might have to swing by in late Nov for an up close inspection. We have a week jensen Beach planned.....

Roger that ! Our house is your house ! And hopefully I should have the ODK done by then ,,:lol:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Finally have all the tile installed and grouted ... This pic is before grout ..

Got someone coming over next Saturday to do the painting on the fish .. Also installed the rest of my electrical receptacles on the bar and installed the under counter fridge ... Cooling beverages as we speak ! ;) If it was an 1/8" taller it would have never fit .. :lol:
Gunna try and hook up the sink this week sometime ... Cheers everyone !!

Sam, the wifey said WOW that looks good. I think you did a great job and the entire family should be very proud of their work. The colors seem to make everything work. Obviously you wanted it to be a show place, and you've accomplished that very nicely. :thumb: :thumb: