Finally building an outdoor kitchen .May need some idea's /help .

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys !
gm, I do have a saw I picked up off c/l ... Pretty pleased with it but I think it's about time for a new blade ..
This slate cuts real easy but it will break pretty easy also and it likes to split and flake apart sometimes ... Had to pick up a few more boxes ... Still haven't decided
how to do the big back splash area where the grill sits ... Was looking on line at some of the big tile murals but holy smokes they are pricey ..I would love to put a big mural of a red drum up there . or some palms would be nice ... I may experiment with some of the tavertine .. A sun dial maybe idk .. Or I could go simple and do the same pattern I have on the floor ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys !
gm, I do have a saw I picked up off c/l ... Pretty pleased with it but I think it's about time for a new blade ..
This slate cuts real easy but it will break pretty easy also and it likes to split and flake apart sometimes ... Had to pick up a few more boxes ... Still haven't decided
how to do the big back splash area where the grill sits ... Was looking on line at some of the big tile murals but holy smokes they are pricey ..I would love to put a big mural of a red drum up there . or some palms would be nice ... I may experiment with some of the tavertine .. A sun dial maybe idk .. Or I could go simple and do the same pattern I have on the floor ...

I get the feeling whatever you decide will look amazing. Go for it!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
very nice man! looks like you be working on that wooden boat soon enough ! , hope this posts

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
looks like you be working on that wooden boat soon enough !

It may take longer now ..:facepalm:
Here I go with my bright idea's ...We had a big fish fry over the week end My BIL had a big mess of redfish saved up so fish and grits was on the menu !
Anyway I'm thinking on trying to do a mosaic on the big back splash area . Gunna say a few prayers and hopefully it will turn out how I want it too ..Started with printing this image then me and my son drew it up on the wall it up on the wall ..

Gunna try and use mostly natural stone tile . I think I can get a lot of the red tones from the slate I have ... Gunna take a little head scratching for sure ..

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I got the idea on how to enlarge the photo from this video ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_De4OJv2rI

looks like it worked for you. It came out great Sam. Another way to do this is to take a pic of what you want and have it made into a slide. Shoot the pic onto the wall with a slide projector and viola. Trace away. This assumes you have a slide projector and can find someone to make slides. I'm think you can still get slides made. This is how alot of artists or faux finishers will start a mural on a wall.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I don't have a slide projector but really with all the little and different shaped tile that will be used it's gunna be hard to go into a lot of detail .. So the basic outline should be good enough I hope ..
I don't think I will use any glossy tile idk ... The scales seem like will be the hardest to mimic .. May just cut a bunch of little squares then chip or grind the edges down . My son suggested making little diamond shapes .. May use some different colored grout in some area's .
All the floor tile is installed other than the one piece I forgot to glue down somehow .. :twitch: And almost done with one coat of sealer . So I may just go ahead and grout everything that's ready and reseal before I start on the back splash ..

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sounds like a plan. I think you got plenty of detail out of that technique. Lots of cutting if you go the diamond route. I would probably drop a few tiles and see what you get lol. How about using the back side of a ceramic tile? They are red and some have ridges in them that might produce a neat look. You could seal the back side with the stuff you're using on the floor to give it some sheen. I don't know if it would work but I figured I'd put it out there.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
That's a good idea .
I'll bet some different shades of some Mexican Saltillo tile would match the reddish color nicely .

Pusher

Lieutenant
This might be stupid but what if you sculpted it into mortar like so

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just so you aren't making jewelry...:ban:

Ya know, it might just be easier to go out and catch one and have it mounted.:D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
:lol: It's hard to mount something that's been filleted and eaten ! On the other hand one that big ya wouldn't want to eat anyway ...

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I think you might want to add some glass to the fish as well. Some eradisciant (sp) effect might go a long way. You've got my attention Sam. Can't wait to see what direction you'll be taking this one. Trust your instincts, you have made some awesome choices thus far.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Honestly .... I would rather grind fiberglass all day without a tyvec suit on then grout tile .... :blue:
They should make prisoners grout as punishment !

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Agreed, push this way, push that way, wipe clean..... Oh look a hole in the grout, push this way, push that way.........

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Finally got the whole floor grouted .. :faint:
It took way to long for sure ... Didn't feel there was enough time in the afternoons after work with all the wipe down over and over so wanted to wait till the weekend to have plenty of time .. My arms and shoulders feel as though they could fall off at any time .. :violin:
I have recently discovered that I have gout in my foot that really slowed things down too . That is some extremely painful stuff !!! Got the meds and taking it is not the funnest thing in the world either .. :dizzy:
Still need to clean the residue off the tile ... I am using my buffer with a heavy buffing pad on it to knock the haze off .... Actually makes quick work of it and my arms can use the break !
Soon to start the backsplash area ... Looking forward to being done with all tile work .. A while back I ran and buried the cable wire for the tv and the wife picked up a used 32" flat screen to mount from a friend of hers that was moving ... Will have to build some sort of box in the corner of the porch to house it in ...
I really need to push hard to get everything done ! I got boats that need some attention !!