Finally building an outdoor kitchen .May need some idea's /help .

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
That stinks Sam. Sorry to hear that news. And yes they are family. {Sometimes Better!}
984930_1242853787.gif

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks everyone for your thoughts ..

Starting to get things lit up a bit ..

I painted under the hood with the rusto high heat enamel .. The first coat was a disaster ! LOL ! Not the finish but the clean up .. I used a small cut in brush and a 4" roller and a plastic tray .. Well unknown to me I had a small hole in the corner of the tray ... Up a step or two on the ladder looking up I tilted the tray and a good stream of black paint was splattering on the floor . :facepalm: A nice mess but that wasn't the end of it ... I got down to throw some sawdust over the mess then I tipped over the cup I had for the cut in brush .. About a cup and a half of paint landed on my left leg and ran down to completely cover the top of my work boot . :eek:
My first reaction .... Grab the acetone and a rag and start cleaning the paint off the leg and boot .... Well that proved to be not such a good idea ! It soaked through the jeans and turned my skin a nice shade of black .... And it may have burned just a bit !! :lol:
All is well got cleaned up and finished the job .. Second coat went great not a drop on the floor or me ! LOL!!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, don't you just hate it when things like that happen. It seem it is a domino effect. But a cool head and some clean up time and when you finish, you can think back and laugh at such things.

Sam how did you determine the placement and number of lights to go with? I ask because I am contemplating LEDs for our kitchen and have read so many "how to's" LED light swaps, that I am tired reading such things now.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well gm I knew I needed plenty of light in the cooking and prepping area because the existing lights was not gunna cut it . Under the hood I went with the track lights for 2 reasons really ... Only one hole in the ceiling to seal up so smoke wouldn't be a factor getting up in the attic space and I can place and point the lights right down on the grills cooking surface .. 3 leds over the counter and one larger one over the sink area ... Just figured the more light the better .
But mostly used my tried and true "By Guess and By Golly " method for placement .. :joyous:
I need to add one more track and light under the hood in the right hand corner . Also plan on making the wine bottle pendant lights for over the bar ...
I really need to do the stucco soon ... I want to get done with that mess before I start the tile ... Back splash behind the grill is around and around in my brain ... I think I might use the same slate tile that's going on the floor on the b/s with some kind of accents ..

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looking real nice to me Sam. You will surely enjoy all the hard work and efforts you have put into that kitchen.!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the answers Sam. You seem to have a lot of different skills. :thumb:

Pusher

Lieutenant
Just read through this project to date. Great job Sam! I did a shower remodel in January..errr....February..annnndddd..March.... Haha
I thought that was a lot of work!!!

Fantastic detail work. The follow through is where it counts and you followed through. I especially like the concrete stain and the trim work on the hood/range.

If you were still thinking about the wine bottle lighting I think one hanging bottle would look awesome and very touching. If you put some of that children's paint inside the bottle it would give it a soft hue. Maybe use an LED and wire it to run 24/7.

Sorry about your losses this year. Sounds like you have had a tough one.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Side note, someone said a wood stain was really poplar lately. I had to laugh at the typo. No need for names cause we all do it.... all the thyme in fact.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks and welcome aboard Pusher !
Another step is complete ... Had a couple of our plasterers come over and knock out the stucco for me ... Now that that mess is over I see some tile work in the very near future ! ;)
The Manatee is calling me ! Ready to get this kitchen done !

southkogs

Staff member
Cool video. I get a kick out of reclaimed design. Done a little work myself with old pallet wood.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Starting floor prep ... Rented a floor grinder with 12 grit to get most of the old stain off . Pretty confident I should get good adhesion now . I opened up those cracks in the floor and will use this structural epoxy repair filler to hopefully stop any more movement ... At 20 bucks a tube it had better work !!! :eek:

I have some low spots in the slab that needs to be filled and some touch up grinding to do before tile ...

foodfisher

Captain
If that crack repair adhesive could stop earth movement it would cost a lot more than $20. IMO temporary fill at best.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
See one of those floor machines brings back memories. Back in my way way younger days, I was a salesman. Not my favorite job I ever had either. And we were suppose to scrub the floors in out departments. Did I tell you I was working in the gun department at that time. So there I am with this floor scrubber. I had used them previously in the grocery store years back to scrub those floors.

So I was scrubbing along and that thing caught something and spun out of control hitting the ammo display cabinet. All the 22 rimfire boxes stacked up pretty high toppled over onto the wet floor and there were 22 shells everywhere. 22 shorts, longs, long rifle and even bird shot shell cartridges all over the place. So I had to get a towel and pick each shell up, determine the size, wipe off any soap suds and dry them and put them back in the correct boxes. That was one very long evening. Shorts and bird shot shells were easy to figure out. But the longs and long rifles was interesting.

And to this day I remember the brand name, Nimrod 22's. It was a store brand. I was so young at that time, that I couldn't even sell the 22's because they could be used in pistols. And not being 21 yet, I could sell anything but rifles and rifle cartridges to the customers. Other employees had to do the pistols sales.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If that crack repair adhesive could stop earth movement it would cost a lot more than $20. IMO temporary fill at best.

Well this was the best stuff I could find on the shelf so it will have to do ... It actually is doing a nice job .. It's 2 part and comes out of the tube like thick water to fill the crack from top to bottom and is rock hard when cured ... I plan on bridging the crack with some mesh and underlayment to hopefully keep it from migrating through the tile ... This slab has been down for over 20 years so I think it has settled as far as it's going to .. Hopefully ! :lol:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Gm , That is a funny story !!
I have never used one of these grinders and I tell ya it took a few minutes to figure it out .. :eek:
I pulled the trigger and and it took off and slammed into the wall then ran back the other direction and ran over the cord !!! :laugh::facepalm: :yield:
Finally I figured out just slight movement up or down on the handle is how to guide it ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Gm , That is a funny story !!
I have never used one of these grinders and I tell ya it took a few minutes to figure it out .. :eek:
I pulled the trigger and and it took off and slammed into the wall then ran back the other direction and ran over the cord !!! :laugh::facepalm: :yield:
Finally I figured out just slight movement up or down on the handle is how to guide it ...

Some how I know exactly what you are saying. :facepalm:

It does take a little learning to understand that sudtle movement.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Almost ready for some tile ! I went around the edges with my 7" grinder then kept going ... I removed probably 95% of all the old stain... That wasn't much fun at all ..
I got a bag of this to fill in the duck ponds ... Levels out pretty well .. I think I need 2 more bags ... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...-lb-Self-Leveling-Underlayment-LQ50/100192482
Before I used it I cleaned the whole floor with some TSP then hit it with the pressure washer .. Ready to let the hair go with the hide on the floor prep and start laying tile .. :joyous:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have used that stuff. It does work pretty good. Can't wait to see some tile pics :pop2: