Finally building an outdoor kitchen .May need some idea's /help .

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Sam,
Stop pulling our legs....where did you buy the cabinets from? They look GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys !
Kc , I can't afford to have someone make em .... I have ta pull all my material out of the dumpster ! :lol:
I don't really have much money into the project so far ... The slate floor tile is probably the biggest expense so far .. I have not purchased a grill yet ..:eek:
I will probably just get an el cheapo gas grill for now then upgrade to a nice slide in unit in another year or so .. The good ones aren't cheap .. :twitch:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, I think you did great. Seems you have more skill sets then you let on. I do like it. Bravo Sam Bravo. :thumb: :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Only one pic of any kind of progress .. I built this little step down so I could place the pendant lights where I wanted them .. I also dropped my wires in place for some recessed lights that will light up the lower counter surface and the sink area ... The existing lights really have never produced much light ... The infill of the step down will be the same natural reclaimed pine .. I just matched the existing crown that was already there ... I think it will look ok ... Still doing some electrical and I need to figure out a strategic spot where I will place my projector .. Also need to run cable out there for the tv ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I picked up some of the Hardie wood looking siding 4x8 sheets and installed them on the underside of the hood I framed ... Non -combustible so I figured it was a good choice .. I want to paint it black or dark charcoal color ... ?paint .... Flat would look best but not so good the wipe down ... So eggshell or satin I think would work .... Do you think the heat from the grill will effect Latex paint ? I could go enamel with the hardener added but I don't think that comes in satin ..
They make that black high temp spray paint but I would rather roll it on ...
Any thoughts ?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I picked up some of the Hardie wood looking siding 4x8 sheets and installed them on the underside of the hood I framed ... Non -combustible so I figured it was a good choice .. I want to paint it black or dark charcoal color ... ?paint .... Flat would look best but not so good the wipe down ... So eggshell or satin I think would work .... Do you think the heat from the grill will effect Latex paint ? I could go enamel with the hardener added but I don't think that comes in satin ..
They make that black high temp spray paint but I would rather roll it on ...
Any thoughts ?

Sam, I can't say for the paint you use, but I do know they make gloss reducers for other type paints. So if you could find some of that de-glosser and it was compatible with your paint, it would work. Maybe even a reducer would take some gloss out. Or even a reducer and sand mixture to remove that gloss finish. And they do make grill paint the looks flat black, and semi-gloss. JMHO

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Sam,
typical wood hoods for kitchens are finished with the same furniture grade paint/stain they used on the cabinets. Thet also have a metal liner incorporated into them for light and vent exhaust. The color you pick will more or less determine how nice it shows and keeping it clean. Cleaning is usually just warm soapy water. Post a pic.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Rusto makes a high heat bbq grill paint I just found .
And I should be able to use the enamel hardener with it ..

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Usually you position the hood at the lowest height to grill surface 18"-21" from deck top to underside of exhaust unit. Like a microwave over a range, the base of the unit should actually not sit flush with the adjoining cabinets, 3" higher is the modus operandi. The reasoning being the heat and also the additional benefit of being able to all the grill/range that you're cooking on.
Add'l height can also be adjusted based upon the cfm of the mechanical exhaust fan in side the hood liner. So is your hood a simple chimney or is there a mechanical component? Is the grill gas, charcoal or a combination of both?
They also have units that raise up from under the counter top behind the grill that do back venting and then can be lowered to be concealed. Exhaust piping is a whole nother animal that then runs thru your base cabinets to the outside.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just a simple sloped ceiling just above head height that will empty out of the top of the screen .. Gunna see how that works before I add any exhaust fan .
I will use just a flat top griddle and a lp gas grill .. Also a large individual gas burner for large pots .. Nothing really fancy ..
If I want to use charcoal I will use a grill outside for that ..
I'll try and post picks of it soon . The framework you can see from earlier post ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just a simple sloped ceiling just above head height that will empty out of the top of the screen .. Gunna see how that works before I add any exhaust fan .
I will use just a flat top griddle and a lp gas grill .. Also a large individual gas burner for large pots .. Nothing really fancy ..
If I want to use charcoal I will use a grill outside for that ..
I'll try and post picks of it soon . The framework you can see from earlier post ..

Sound great Sam. When are the steaks going to be ready? :hungry:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Steaks... Thats just the side dish. Hows abut da shrimp and lobsra?
Down ther we call it Surf and turf. :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Steaks... Thats just the side dish. Hows abut da shrimp and lobsra?
Down ther we call it Surf and turf. :)

Well I didn't want to push the issue, so I when easy on him. But I'd take the surf and turf without question. What time? :dance: :hungry: