Finally building an outdoor kitchen .May need some idea's /help .

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm with Joe, the heater sounds like a winner for sure. Oh, and for what it's worth, I like the rough sawn planking look a lot!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Google pallet wood furniture there are 100000000's of neat ways to repurpose that wood. Some cool how to's diy

a1f726d0362444eb6c7d08f14deb0b35.jpg

Last edited:

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
First time in a while that I've checked in and I'm very impressed with the countertop👌👍 I really like the edge profile!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Brian ! Kc I'm still debating the reclaimed wood .. Gunna get the counters stained and sealed first then make my decision .
Been making some progress .. Got most of the electrical stuff done .. Still have a few things to run ... I installed some mineral wool insulation in the wall behind the grill ... Just for a little extra fire protection ..

I will be installing the same insulation in the hood above the grill ...
Also picked up the LED lighting on evilbay .. Pretty cool they can change to many different colors ... And my sample acid stain came in also ..
This will be interesting ..

Been rubbing and sanding the surface getting rid of trowel marks and smoothing out the edges ... When you sand the surface it opens up little pin holes everywhere .. Sure hope it turns out nice ...
Cheers everyone !

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
It'll turn out just fine sam! The top that is. If you go reclaimed woof make sure it's marked as "HT" {heat treated}... meaning no chemicals etc. I'm using it to build some benches for free on my back deck and other little projects. I'll take some pics this weekend and send them over to you. The rough cut lumber looks pretty cool.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
KC , looking forward to some pics of your reclaimed projects .. I may try and build some outdoor furniture with the pile of stuff I saved from the dumpster ..
To be used on the covered porch .. I made some samples .. This has only 1 coat of sealer .. Still pondering which way to go ... :noidea:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I'll shoot some over tom. they are in a rough stage but coming along. The 9th one in from the top {left to right} looks like granite called "Giallo Venenzia".

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
"Giallo Venenzia".

Yep thats what I was shooting for ... :D
Thats the one the Admiral likes best ... Hard to do a good sample on such a small area ...I just used some small foam brushes to apply the acid ... I kinda like the solid black ...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup the "Black" is a guy thing for sure. In all my years designing and selling kitchens I learned 1 thing. The woman rules the kitchen, bed and bath. And they can make your life miserable if you don;t go with them in their choices in those 3 depts.

southkogs

Staff member
Nice work on that Sam. I'll have to agree with your admiral. It looks very nice.

I saw something tonight that I thought was kinda' slick, and thought of your project. Same idea as your wine bottle lights, but it was done with Mason Jars. The screw top jars made for a nice way to add the light fixture. Really cool lookin'. Wine bottles might be more sentimental for ya', but the jar look was pretty nice.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
The last of the pics....

Repurposed bed springs for climbing veggies;

Comfy!!

This porch out front was painted blue!?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Very cool KC ! Would have never of thought about the bed springs for vegetables .... The planters along the walkway is nice ...Is that a pickled stain on the seat lounger ?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nice work on that Sam. I'll have to agree with your admiral. It looks very nice.

I saw something tonight that I thought was kinda' slick, and thought of your project. Same idea as your wine bottle lights, but it was done with Mason Jars. The screw top jars made for a nice way to add the light fixture. Really cool lookin'. Wine bottles might be more sentimental for ya', but the jar look was pretty nice.

Mason jars would probably put out more light than the wine bottles ... I have some other areas that could use some light ... Maybe I could do a combination of both ..

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
White wash on top, then a blue white wash then a black stain rub. The front side is straight white wash. Depends how the sun hits it.

Closer look. Got this done for the memorial Day BBQ but alot more tweeking. Nothinh like your outdoor bbq, but a good place to rest your head and meet w/friends.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
No don't throw that in the dumpster ! I got a good place for it ! ;)

Took me a few minutes to figure out the up/down switch but I got it working .. Gotta run cable out there so I can watch the games ... Football season is just around the corner ! :joyous:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It ain't perfect but it turned out ok .. This is the Acid stain with 1 coat of waterbased sealer ..It will get 1 more coat then 1 or 2 coats of polyurethane water based sealer ...
I was really nervous applying the stain .. There are a few things I would have done differently but for a first timer I am pretty pleased with it ..