Cleaning Up Old Demolition Hammer Grease/Grime

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I've got a 25 year old Makita electric demolition hammer that has given long and faithful service. I'm thinking of selling it (getting too heavy for my 75 yo bones) and would like to clean it up. It's got 25 years worth of lubricating (air tool oil) oil and dirt, baked on by the sun, that I'd like to clean off. Tried a couple of my stand byes, kerosene and WD40 and they won't budge the stuff. Any suggestions? Note: I'm not going to attempt to disassemble the tool, so anything I use would have to be applied to the assembled unit (dipping not an option).

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would tape all the vents up and then spray with a foaming engine degreaser and let it sit, and then wipe it down, some of those engine clears are pretty good.

64osby

Admiral
Go Jo hand cleaner and a brush takes a lot of crud off really fast.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I had about a half gallon of that orange oil based degreaser left over from another project. Worked great - maybe a little slower than auto degreaser but more user friendly (odors/cleanup).

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I had about a half gallon of that orange oil based degreaser left over from another project. Worked great - maybe a little slower than auto degreaser but more user friendly (odors/cleanup).

Glad to hear it, nothing wrong with being eco friendly!