Unwanted/Unused Apps!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I have a Samsung Android phone. I set about to clean out apps that I have no use for. Many, of course are 'built in' apps. They are always trying to update which takes forever and a day. As I select the app to delete or uninstall or turn off, I get a message the says "tuning off built in apps may cause errors in other apps".

As far as I can see, built in apps do not give you the opportunity to delete them, only to turn them off so at least they are inactive and do not try to update, thereby taking up even more space and time. Again, even just trying to turn them of gives me that message and makes me paranoid to do so.

What say ya'll?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I used to get that message all of the time when I deleted apps on my Lenovo tablet, I just deleted them and never had any problems at all.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
All good info, Bruce, but none of them address the message that I stated above, when you disable them. I selectively disabled a couple of apps inspite of the message. We will see if anything bad happens.
I disable Samsung apps all the time. No issues.

Which apps did you disable?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
some of the apps are Samsung, some are your carriers.

I disabled/removed most of the apps on my phone

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
.......Which apps did you disable?.......

So far I have 'turned off" Google play movies, IMDb, NFL Mobile, VZ Navigator and then one Google something that I turned back on this morning because I had a whole row of triangles with exclamation marks in them that said that a whole bunch of different things needed that app. So until I get it figured out, I turned it back on. There is a whole bunch of Google things that I don't need. I will try it again and maybe turn off some of those things that needed the one I turned off.

There are other things too. I guess I have to experiment. The phones resident memory appears to be over half full.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your Android operating system is google. Most of the google specific apps are tied to the operating system.

however IMDB, NFL, amazon, and the useless games are the first that I get rid of.

I then add a flashlight app, a GPS/Navigation app, my banking app, gas buddy, iHear Radio, linked in, skype, and a voice recording app.

I also have a zippo lighter app for concerts