boat design software

Iced

Seaman Apprentice
does anyone know if there are some programs (free) to download where i can set up the layout of the boat to see in 3d how it would look?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There are lots of such programs, but most cost an arm and a leg...or boat. But if you are simply wanting to see what the new paint job would look like, why not try photoshop and work with that to design your new paint job? As for designing an entire boat to see in 3D, Solidworks comes to mind. And it even allows you to do parts fit to verify each piece fits without any problems before you even start cutting that actual boat out. But it is really costly. But then you get what you pay for... JMHO!

Iced

Seaman Apprentice
i found one, google sketch up...but forget it. i am not very computer friendly and i have no idea but thanks anyway

jbcurt00

Staff member
Not computer friendly and using any 3D modeling program will be challenging, at best.

Good luck, if you find something that you like and does what you need it to, please let us know.

southkogs

Staff member
As someone who does 3d modeling ... I will tell you that getting a boat hull to layout is a pain! If you're just trying to get an idea of what kind of paint job will look good, I would recommend trying to download an existing hull. GrabCad.com is a good place to start.

Though as JB says above - if you're not computer savvy, you're going to have a hard time doing a 3D model.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
As someone who does 3d modeling ... I will tell you that getting a boat hull to layout is a pain! If you're just trying to get an idea of what kind of paint job will look good, I would recommend trying to download an existing hull. GrabCad.com is a good place to start.

Though as JB says above - if you're not computer savvy, you're going to have a hard time doing a 3D model.

I totally agree with southkogs, most any quality software program is going to have a huge learning curve if you're not already computer savvy. It is how things work. That doesn't mean to give up. Pick one and start to learn. You will be truly amazed and have self gratification once you see how such programs work. Force yourself to learn even one program and you will also be amazing how what you learned transfer to so many other programs then. JMHO!

southkogs

Staff member
For all the limitations of the free version - Sketchup is a pretty capable little program, and there are a TON of models available for it. That's the program that a lot of design schools are using for foundational work.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
as someone that uses 3D software and works with naval architects, solidworks, Creo/ProE, work well, however most Naval Architects use Rhino. its less expensive, less critical, NURBS based and good enough for sweeping lines on boats. its still a few K and a pain in the butt to use.