Big Buddy Heaters

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I'm using one in my ground blind. I like it because in the cold weather I can still sit for hours. But, It seems to smell. If I can smell it, I'm sure a deer will have no problem. I have a hose with a regulator connected to a 20# tank which is getting empty. Would that cause the smell? I know if the tank for my house gets down to 5/6/7% it will start to smell in the house... I'm guessing because the additive settles to the bottom of the tank and that's why the smell?

I just read about turning the tank off b/4 shutting the heater down. Have never done it. Had it for a few years or so...

dwco5051

Commander
As the volume of gas in the tank decreases the additive becomes more concentrated. That is the nature of the beast. The ratio of smell to gas in the tank is not linear but increase as the tank goes towards empty.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Maybe I should use the 1#ers I have instead.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Apple scent is good, but is this better? Or a mixture? :joyous:
doe in rut.PNG

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I actually read a story a few years ago, that stated that Elk and Deer cannot smell the additive that is put in propane and natural gas, don't know if it is true or not, but I did read it in one of the hunting magazines. It is more likely they are avoiding an unnatural warm spot out in the woods.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh my, I don't think I would pour any Tink's into the heater for sure. Not unless you want to smell that putrid stink forever. That stuff truly stinks and even after years of buying such, I can't say yet if it ever helped. Seems a lot of marketable things are merely to catch hunters and not necessarily game. Same with fishing equipment, so many things to catch fishermen and not fish. But to each his own.

As for the deer being able to smell the heater, I can easily see that. I used to try the Johnny Hand warmers and even they put off a distinct odor when used. So you make a decision to be warm, or not spook the deer. :noidea:

Glad I forgo hunting these days. After harvesting well over 80 plus deer, those decision are not any problem for me now. Anyway if I ever did go hunting again, I think it would be for wild boar which are very plentiful around where I live in middle Georgia! I've harvested them before and they are a lot more interesting to hunt, to me anyways, then deer. JMHO!

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Troy no issues Bud!

Moose farts smell like propane additive I hear----LOL

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Troy no issues Bud!

Moose farts smell like propane additive I hear----LOL

Okay, I just have to ask. How do you know how a Moose fart smells like... :pound:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Okay, I just have to ask. How do you know how a Moose fart smells like... :pound:

:pound:

Well, I switched out the tank. One thing I know for sure is the heat was much hotter. I suppose more LP and less additive since the canisters were full. One cause when it start to stink tonite, I was crisping up my chair on the bottom left side. Not sure how long that has been going on. Happened to feel the side and felt melted chunks. It's one of those 4 legs that fold to the center canvas, faux, chairs. I wonder how long I've been breathing that poisonous gas....... Bringing out a different chair tomorrow and I probably will keep the heater farther away.....:facepalm:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
May I suggest a carbon monoxide detector to go along with that bottle of --Damn were is that friggen deer (great on the pallet with a hint of anxiousness)

dolluper

Captain
Don't smoke run your leaking grt some soapy water and spray all your connections to find the leak

WIMUSKY

Staff member
May I suggest a carbon monoxide detector to go along with that bottle of --Damn were is that friggen deer (great on the pallet with a hint of anxiousness)

Smoldering plasticlike chair material sure doesn't smell good. Worse are those sunflower type heaters. Use to have them in ice houses hour after hour. Got a little light headed, ok a lot. Those things are bad....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Here's the nylon re-enforcement that was melting on my chair..... That's must do wonders to breathe in. Had to have been causing a major stink. Checked the heater for CO with a digital detector in the garage. I had some 1lb tanks to completely empty before I could throw them in the local transfer station. Didn't register anything. Even tried it in the bathroom which would be tighter quarters, still nothing. Heater is fine...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The CO detector was good wasn't it? I see that chair webbing is now toast...literally ... :facepalm:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yep. I have a Kidde Nighthawk with a digital display. The test button sets it off and displays around 200ppm.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yep. I have a Kidde Nighthawk with a digital display. The test button sets it off and displays around 200ppm.

WOW WIMUSKY, I just yesterday ripped open an old Kidde Nighthawk CO detector just to see if there was anything in there I could possible use for other electronic projects before trashing it. Ours went belly up a year ago or so and we bought a newer type. But I honestly can't tell if it works. There is no PPM display on it.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Told you had a leak

.I sprayed everything down before the co test and there were no leaks....

WOW WIMUSKY, I just yesterday ripped open an old Kidde Nighthawk CO detector just to see if there was anything in there I could possible use for other electronic projects before trashing it. Ours went belly up a year ago or so and we bought a newer type. But I honestly can't tell if it works. There is no PPM display on it.

That's why I made sure I bought a digital one so I knew what was going on. I glance at it every know and then to make sure it's reading 0. I haven't checked, but I would think you still could get a digital one... Our 5th wheel trailer has a digital one plus a propane sensor....

Last edited: