Farm Tractor not running right

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
I have an International 2544 farm tractor, and It was been having some fuel issues lately. It will run fine for a while, then shut off and or loose power. Sometimes it will run when choked, but most times it will start back up and run fine for a lil while longer. Lately it has been running for a few minutes, then stalling, and you have to wait a few minutes to start it back up, I think I can hear fuel running into the empty Carb. So somehow I think fuel is not flowing into the carb fast enough. I already too the carb off, cleaned it, and put it back together with a gasket i cut from a sheet.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Try opening the fuel tank filler. It could be a blocked or partially blocked tank vent. Fuel filter changed lately? Just tossing out ideas.

hosteter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
tractor is not getting enough of fuel.check the tank like ga_boater said.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Did you check the fuel filter? I had one once that had rust in the tank and the fuel filter would fill with rust, then when it quit the rust would drain out of the filter and allow it to run for a while longer, put a new filter on it and never had another problem with it.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
On the bottom of the fuel tank is there a sediment bowl (it may be clear glass or a small screw on filter) above it should be a petcock/fuel shutoff.
The petcock may screw out to shut off depending on MFG,
Shut off fuel remove sediment/filter bowl check and clean if possible-open petcock and check fuel flow - close replace sediment bowl filter.
Change primary fuel filter-just because.
Pull the fuel line off carb carefully route hose into a catch jar and crank over to check flow from pump.

If you have crud/rust in tank it will show up in the sediment bowl and you will have to pull the tank and clean it out, if there is not enough flow when cranking over the engine you will need to rebuild or replace pump

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
I don't think this tractor has a fuel pump, its just a gravity feed. And there is no fuel filter, just the sediment bowl. I added a fuel filter in, after the bowl, and that accumulated a lot of rust quickly. An iteresting note is that when i empty the sediment bowl, and replace it, the fuel will not flow into the empty glass bowl, unless I loosen the seal between the bowl and gasket to let air out. So it may be a blocked vent. Where is the vent?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
So tomorrow I am going to try using this boat gas tank instead of the main tank. I will just run a boat gas line directly to the carb.

Attachments

• Tractors.PNG
    Tractors.PNG
    443.3 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

If you use a primer bulb on the hose to the carb that might work. Otherwise it's going to be hard to get gravity flow. With a bulb it might set up some siphoning action.

The tank vent is usually in the fuel cap.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well if you have to loosen up a sealed area to allow fuel in then it isn't a clogged vent in the tank. But it sounds like there is a blockage beyond the sediment bowl, and when you break the seal, gas flows because there isn't anything blocking the flow. However, once to reseal the bowl again, gas is trapped again. So check the rest of the fuel line to see what's blocking it. If there was a blocked vent at the tank, breaking the sediment bowl would not change the fuel flowing. JMHO!

GA_Boater

Sure it could. It's just like up ending a jug of oil when it goes glug, glug. If the blockage is after the bowl, how could the motor ever run at all?

The fuel system on this tractor is just like a motorcycle. Gravity feed and if anything is blocking the outlet or the vent is blocked you have symptoms like this. The outlet may have a screen being blocked by rust. Checking the tank vent is as easy as loosening the cap.

dwco5051

Commander
The cap is solid metal, no vent anywhere on it.

Have someone who can tell by looking (Maybe your local Case/IH dealer if that is the proper gas cap. They had a large recall on their gas caps some years back and I am almost certain your tractor would have been included. The problem was the old cap would sometimes spew fuel out and ignite. Even if that is not your problem they were sending replacements out to all owners. I remember getting 3 for the 2 H models and 1 M I had back then.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
I don't think this tractor has a fuel pump, its just a gravity feed. And there is no fuel filter, just the sediment bowl. I added a fuel filter in, after the bowl, and that accumulated a lot of rust quickly. An iteresting note is that when i empty the sediment bowl, and replace it, the fuel will not flow into the empty glass bowl, unless I loosen the seal between the bowl and gasket to let air out. So it may be a blocked vent. Where is the vent?

Fuel filters go right after the tank... before anything that might get gunked up or plugged.

since you are getting significant gunk in the filter you need to clean out the whole fuel system. Probably a good cleanup will cure it.

BTW, I once got a 12hp riding mower free due to similar symptoms that the owner couldn't figure out. I found a 1/4 inch dia 4 inch long stick in the fuel line.
Its very likely a good cleaning will fix it for you.

Last edited:

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
This whole system only has 8 inches of fuel lines, the Carb is 8 inches from the bottom of the tank. I know that the fuel bowl that screws into the bottom of the tank is for a massie fergison, not a International. I bought the one for an international, but it had a bigger fitting for a steel fuel line, and no body could help me find the right size steal line.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
You might try blowing a little air up into the tank outlet. My tractor used to get blocked up there with rust flakes and would starve for gas until I blew it out and then it would run okay again for awhile. The permanent fix was to clean out the tank and then apply a good sealer to the inside.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Sediment bowls are genetic. I rebuilt the one from my New Holland and use it on my international.

Remove fuel line from tank to sediment bowl. Blow out with compressed air. Then drop bowl on carb and give the float valve a good cleaning. Hanging floats are pretty common in old fuel systems

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I think you need to clean the tank out and then try re-cleaning the carb again. See if you can get a new needle valve and seat

dolluper

Captain
Yes number 2 on sticking or gunked up carb needle gas inlet valve ....makes sense eh

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
You know what it was? The steel fuel line going into the carb had a filter built into the end of the line, about the size of a 1 inch long pencil. That was clogged up with rust. We took that filter out, and added a filer further up in the line. Now it runs great. All of that rust was starving the carb.