Tools, Old - New and Uses

Tnstratofam

Commander
Stanley? By the way I don't know how seasoned I am, but My 17 year old step son thinks my favorite band should be Salt and Pepper because my hair is brown and my beard is white!

Last edited:

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Stanley? By the way I don't know how seasoned I am, but My 17 year old step son thinks my favorite band should be Salt and Pepper because my hair is brown and my beard is white!

Nope...not Stanley........LOL You are officially seasoned.

dwco 5051...Is that a bullet mold? What caliber?

dwco5051

Commander
Is the other one a wad cutter? A WCF 38-40 is a purdy hot load for a lead 38 in black powder.

No, but you are on the right track. The 38-40 was not a 38 caliber but a 40. Don't have any idea why Winchester called it the WCF 38-40. Bullets from that mold actually measure .401 or .402 depending on what alloy I cast with. A decent load in its day but not much by todays standards. Since both rifles and revolvers were chambered for this cartridge the load was actually a little mild as a rifle load.

Last edited:

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Back to you guys about the hog ring pliers -- yes you're right. I don't have a picture of its use but it is often used to fasten upholstery together. There may be other uses that I'm not aware of.

I recognized the nail puller but I don't know the brand. Stanley made lots of tools for wood working but I don't have one of those.

StarTed

I guess I missed the bullet molds. I think the 38 in front is the grains of black powder load.

Is the other one some kind of sizer?

I guess it's about time to add another pliers type of tool.

It looks like about the same vintage.

Last edited:

dwco5051

Commander
Back to you guys about the hog ring pliers -- yes you're right. I don't have a picture of its use but it is often used to fasten upholstery together. There may be other uses that I'm not aware of.

Also used for fencing repair and installation. Handy for splicing two ends of welded wire fencing or making cages out of fencing.

dwco5051

Commander
I guess I missed the bullet molds. I think the 38 in front is the grains of black powder load.

Is the other one some kind of sizer?

It looks like about the same vintage.

Right, it is a tong type reloading tool. It would size, prime, and seat the bullet. The WCF 38-40 was a .401 180 grain bullet propelled with 40 grains of black powder. It was thought that Winchester introduced it as a lower recoil version of the 44-40 which fired a 200 grain bullet. The tool I have was made by Winchester and was designed by Oliver Winchester's son William. As far as I know Lyman is still making an almost identical tool today in many different calibers. I have a 1873 rifle made in 1880 in 44-40 and there is almost no recoil so I imagine the lower recoil was for revolver loads. Since it was much easier to only carry one size ammo for your long gun and your handgun I think that is why they brought out the 38-40 in a model 1873 some years after the 44-40 was introduced.

StarTed

Thanks for the information dwco5051.

I just noticed that the last tool I posted has the name on the tag. It is designed to adjust the set on a crosscut saw. I don't like it because the teeth have a spring to them and they aren't all the same so the set doesn't turn out equal. I'd much rather use a hammer and a block then check them with a spider. It's important that all the teeth are set the same if you want a sharp cutting saw.

Here's something else

I think you'll recognize these since they can be used on boats.

StarTed

They sort of look like it but they're not. They're handy when working on a tinny.

StarTed

Yes, they are used for riveting. They are "strap duplicators" used in the aircraft industry to make a new sheet fit into existing holes. I used them to fasten the stringers I had made to the ribs of my boat. I used all the existing holes that would line up reasonably keeping the number of holes in the ribs to a minimum. They are worth getting for working on a tinny in my opinion.

dwco5051

Commander
My fishing buddy when I was stationed in Norfolk was a Master Chief Aviation Structural Mechanic. He would have never let me live down my not knowing that tool. I was a Hull Tech Chief and never worked on them flying machines.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not seeing the entire tool. It looks to be either a hand drill or valve seat grinding tool...?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I go with GM's valve grinding tool. A lot better than the sucker cup on a stick.