Tools, Old - New and Uses

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You're all close but I was told it's for expanding piston rings. It's actually easy to break them using this so I prefer to just carefully slip them over by hand.

Note the dent in the end to keep from slipping out.

GA --- I use one of those hammers sometimes. They are great for getting a bounce. Mine's head tends to turn around slowly when I use it.

Here is another one from the same old vintage.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
^^^^ with the twisting cam lock and the round holes- pipe or barrel remover/tightner

StarTed

It came in a tool box from an auto mechanic. He told me it was for ....................... You're close but not that.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
It came in a tool box from an auto mechanic. He told me it was for ....................... You're close but not that.

Ok I'll bite.... A stud or broken bolt remover.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I agree it's a stud remover. I've got one in my tool box as well, and have used it on a few broken/frozen studs and bolts over the years.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Started, they still make ring expanders and I actually have such a tool. And it does work really well and I haven't broken any rings using it either .

Simple cheap little tool that does the job well. :thumb:

StarTed

Cofe and the rest, you hit it on the nail.

I've used it many times and it works well. If the stud is broken off too short then welding on a nut is the next best bet. Of course the broken or stuck stud needs to be treated with penetrating oil and some heat if needed. I've had luck alternating heat and penetrating oil and even a good wack on top can sometimes help break it free.

As for the ring expander, your one is better because it supports the ring from flopping sideways. I've even seen one that supported the rings on the sides and it worked very well but is limited to a smaller range of sizes. Doing them by hand is kind of tricky and should be done very carefully only opening the ring enough to work it on. The ends of the ring are kind of hard on the thumbs.

Feel free to throw in some more pictures.

Here's another that I purchased in Norway.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
If your in norther Norway around Tromso or Narvic I would say a crescent wrench, in the south Oslo way- Vise grips---LOL

StarTed

I purchased it in Flikkefjord, SW Norway. You are all beating around the bush. It is made for a common use that you all use a somewhat similar tool to do your work. Think of the thumb screw in a different place and one handle.

StarTed

tnstratofam --- you are correct.

I believe the Chinese may have knocked off a copy by now. No telling what they might call it. I bought it in '83 from a shop in Flikkefjord as a souvenir made in Norway since all "official" their souvenirs on display were made in China. :eek:

It's too cold outside to do much and it's a struggle to keep my shop up to 40 F. I'm spending more time around the stove and have begun a new project since I ran out of abrasive chop saw blades. I'm going to custom make a small shelter to hang off the back of my pickup canopy in the rear. I have some bent PVC conduit that I'll use since it's just taking up space now. I'll take some pictures of the project and start a new post supposing there'll be some interest.

Add some tool pictures yourself. Here is one of the wrenchl on a pipe nipple. By the way, it works very well but is not as big and strong as my other pipe wrenches.

Here is another tool just for the fun of it.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

This tool should be easy to guess for well seasoned gents. The brand has been covered with black tape.

Attachments

• photo235017.jpg
    photo235017.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 0

Tnstratofam

Commander
This tool should be easy to guess for well seasoned gents. The brand has been covered with black tape.

Is it a floor nail puller? Or carpet tack strip remover? I think it looks like a nail puller anyway.

Last edited:

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Ok it is a nail puller, but what brand is it?