Tools, Old - New and Uses

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I have used a tool similar to that to wrap/unwrap telephone wire around terminals?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I wire wrapped with a combo tool. Wrapper on one end and other end was for unwrapping.
wirewrap.PNG

The video shows how - Poorly. The insulation should be inserted in the tool so 2-3 wraps of insulated wire are made before the bare wire wrap. And there should never be a tail of bare wire. I was doing Mil Spec work and that was the standard.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
How about this tool? It's very handy,

fetch

Is it used for fly tying? It looks to be handy for something like that along with numerous other misuses.
walrus pick :lol: meant seal

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
also possibly, but mine looks different, use it to loosen hoses from a nipple

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I wire wrapped with a combo tool. Wrapper on one end and other end was for unwrapping.

The video shows how - Poorly. The insulation should be inserted in the tool so 2-3 wraps of insulated wire are made before the bare wire wrap. And there should never be a tail of bare wire. I was doing Mil Spec work and that was the standard.

Wire wrapping, do not miss that (never used the hand twist one just the automatic pistol style).
No I meant the pick was used to wrap the wire around a post before you twisted down the nut with a can wrench (should get a pic of one of those for show and tell-LOL)
Also great for pulling or inserting jumper wires out of punch down blocks like a bix block/MS2 etc

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Going back to my original to show what the Cleco Pliers is used for.

The Cleco fasteners hold the sheet metal in position for drilling and fastening. They hold quite firmly, note the curve in the aluminum.

The Spider is used when sharpening an old crosscut saw. It has a set offset to check the bend of the teeth. Different Spiders are used for different kinds of wood such as hardwoods, softwoods, green or dry. Something around 0.010 to 0.018 come to mind.

Hopefully that should take care of the first two so we can move on.

Thanks for the interesting pictures and information on their uses.

GA_Boater

So it isn't a dental pick, wiring tool or any of the other guesses. It's a spring hook. One end is for pulling springs and the other is for pushing. I started using these over 50 years ago to remove and replace springs in small aircraft instruments because fingers and other tools are too large. Sorry, no pics of one in use.

springhook.PNG

gm280

Supreme Mariner
So it isn't a dental pick, wiring tool or any of the other guesses. It's a spring hook. One end is for pulling springs and the other is for pushing. I started using these over 50 years ago to remove and replace springs in small aircraft instruments because fingers and other tools are too large. Sorry, no pics of one in use.

Yes GA_Boater, I know all about rebuilding small low altitude aircraft indicators that I use to rebuild for the F4 fighter jets. Yes, that does date me doesn't it. But we had gears that had to be set with a number of teeth backlash for their adjustments. Two gears were set side by side with a very small spring between them and you had to back up one for "X" number of teeth for the proper backlash. And that was how all the gears were set in those altimeters. Brings back memories. ::)

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Here's another from my old tools drawer.

This came with some tools I bought over 50 years ago.

GA_Boater

Truly, the universal fix-it tool. For a sparkies tool box;

rubham.PNG