Tools, Old - New and Uses

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I suppose this has been done before but I thought it could be interesting if we did a thread on tools we use and how we use them. This could be both informative and keep us occupied during the upcoming winter months. I know that many of you have lots of tools and some that many of us have never seen or used. Pictures of the tools will be required for us to guess their names and uses.

The following tool can be used on Tinnys.

This tool below is not used in boating but I use it.

I'll be tied up until after Turkey day so "Happy Turkey Day" to all.

StarTed

I guess I need to add something. I was hoping this could be a kind of guess and answer theme. After some guesses or replies I'll get back to confirm, thank you or add the name and what I use it for. Then it'll be your turn or you could just pass. I'm hoping to see some tools new to me or some uses I haven't thought of yet.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The top tool is a pair of Cleco pliers. No idea on the second, but is it a gauge of some type?

StarTed

GA Boater, you are correct on the top one. The bottom one is not used in boating. I figured very few can guess that one because it is so old but I'll give a hint. I do volunteer trail work in the wilderness so I use it for that.

Clecos are very handy to hold aluminum sheets aligned when drilling holes so they can be separated and deburred before final fastening with rivets.

StarTed

it's not a P38.

GA's guess is the closest so far. There is a name for it that I don 't know if it is the proper one but is the popular one back in the day (before I was born).

I'll be off the computer until Saturday sometime to take in Turkey day with relatives. I plan to get stuffed. I'm just not sure when we're going. We're waiting for the mail because we don't leave mail in our box.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Ok, not a P38 can opener. Kinda looks like one in that pic.
Oh, I forgot to mention, have a set of clecos. I used them when I replaced the quarter panels on my '69 Mustang. It's a great idea. Place the new sheet metal on top of the old, drill 1/8" holes through the new and old metal. install the clecos in the 1/8" holes to hold the two sheet metals together. Then you can cut through both metals and remove the both of them. Now you can stitch weld the new quarter panel to what is left of the old. It's a perfect match!

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A unique tool idea sounds good, but I think along with saying what each tool is used for, a picture(s) will show folks how the tool is used, would be even better. I know what a Cleco pliers is used for and how to use it. But others that have never seen or used one would gain so much more from seeing it in use with some pictures. JMHO!

GA_Boater

What is this used for? It has a three letter unofficial name. Well, maybe the name is official. :smile:

bfh.PNG

Tnstratofam

Commander
What is this used for? It has a three letter unofficial name. Well, maybe the name is official. :smile:

I know I know. BFH! Big Friendly Hammer!!:D I know this tool well as the po of our SS used it so well on its splash well.

dwco5051

Commander
How about this tool? It's very handy,

I would guess it is an "O" ring pick. One of my fishing buddys now deceased was a dentist. He used to give me a lot of dental picks and burrs for drills. All of them have came in handy over the years. It took another collet to use them in my dremel tool. I don't know if todays high speed dental drills use the same diameter bits but since I still have a least a dozen of different shapes I may never have to find out.

GA_Boater

I would guess it is an "O" ring pick. One of my fishing buddys now deceased was a dentist. He used to give me a lot of dental picks and burrs for drills. All of them have came in handy over the years. It took another collet to use them in my dremel tool. I don't know if todays high speed dental drills use the same diameter bits but since I still have a least a dozen of different shapes I may never have to find out.

Close, but no banana. But it could be misused as a toothpick.

StarTed

Well, I escaped from the overeaters pen so I'll tell you what that second tool is.

I'll get a picture of it's use tomorrow so you can tell. I like the idea of including pictures of the tool in use. My intent of this thread is to get lots of pictures and information for all of us.

It's a "spider". When I take and send the picture you'll figure it out.

That one funny shaped tool reminds me of some kind of double ended dental tool. It looks handy for all kinds of intricate work both mechanical and electronic.

StarTed

How about this tool? It's very handy,

fetch

Is it used for fly tying? It looks to be handy for something like that along with numerous other misuses.

Last edited: