WFi Network Extender/Booster?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
After all this, I am wondering if we actually have a reception problem or whether it is a tablet issue. She has a Nexus Tablet. On the tablet she has a Kindle App. She will buy ebooks from Amazon and try to read them on the tablet, upstairs. To access the ebook, you have to open the Kindle App then click on the book in question. I thought these books, after you buy them, were resident in the Tablet memory. I do not know how this all works, ie, cloud vs resident storage.

What is it? Are the books stored in Kindle in the cloud or are they resident on her tablet. If they are stored in the cloud then I am back to a wi-fi reception issue. If they are resident on her Tablet then we are looking at a tablet issue.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You should be download ing them
That is what I do with my Nexus.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Boomyal, another thing you should do is get an app for your phone or laptop and see what frequency channel your neighbors are on vs what you are running on. Sometimes getting more range is simple as selecting a channel that is further away from what your neighbor is on especially if you happen to be on the exact same channel.

On XP how do I see what other networks are close by? I don't have the same icon in my start up tray that I have in Win7.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
What I am talking about is what is mentioned in this article. What XP or W7 displays doesn't show any info other than signal strength and SSID.

If you haven't done so already, see if there are any updates for your wireless router. That also helps with range sometimes.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...r-windows.html

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
You should be download ing them
That is what I do with my Nexus.

Well that is what I thought was happening when you buy a e-book from Amazon. But last night (I just got into ebooks) I was reading in bed at the far end of the house where the wi-fi signal is on the low side. All of a sudden, I quit being able to flip pages in the book. I looked at the little wi-fi symbol and it was completely grayed out, showing no lines. I got up and walked in toward the router expecting to see graph lines start to light up. None did, even when standing directly in front of the router.

I then turned the wi-fi off then back on again and the little symbol filled right back in. I went back to bed and read until it was time to retire. Point being, I couldn't even turn pages. This is apparently what my wife has been fighting upstairs.

Bruce, I will read the link in your post above.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Channel overlap can cause lots of problems, and it can be hard to resolve. We live in a residential neighborhood with single family homes and we still get lots of channel interference. Many wireless routers have automatic selection of channels, which means open channels today may not be open tomorrow. If your router can select a channel automatically, that may help.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Even when my internet is offline, I can still read my books, download them to your computer and then transfer to your e-reader that way you always have them.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can't download them to your computer and then to your device. Even if you could transfer the file, it is encoded for each device separately.

Last edited:

dolluper

Captain
Wifi tablet use seems to drop less than the usually 54 mbps like to 22 losing the connection ....seems real common.....only good out on the streets with free wifi maybe that was the intent