Any GM techs or other knowledgable opinions on my Suburban

rogerwa

Commander
Here's the issue. I have a 2004 Chev Suburban with about 190K on it and it runs great. Problem is the electrical gremlins. I have had some problems pop up that I cannot solve that I think point to a failing BCM. Here is the list..
1) I get a Service Airbag indicator with the idiot light indicating the system has been disabled
2) Intermittent, but mostly persistent error of drivers side door ajar, accompanied by dome lights and locks going on and off while driving
3) Service 4WD - and the whole system is disabled leaving it in 2Wd and no lights on the selector switches
4) not sure if this is related because I have not tried the engine oil reset, but I get the change oil message and check oil message. Oil level is fine.

Does this sound like a BCM issue? If so is there any way I can do this without being totally jacked at the dealer? If not, what would this normally run to have done.

The engine on this thing runs like a top and I had the tranny rebuilt two years ago so getting this fixed would extend the life of the car quite a bit.

Thoughts??

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I just had to do a BCM reset on my 99 Truck because the lights were screwing up, I talked to a buddy of mine who is a ASE certified tech working at the local Chevrolet dealership and he told me to disconnect the negative battery cable for about 45 minutes, there re-connect and drive for a while and that will reset the BCM, then if it triggers again, the BCM needs to be replaced. Cheap way to make sure if the BCM needs replacement. You can buy replacement BCM's on ebay also for a heck of a lot less than a dealer will charge you and they are made by the same Chinese companies that make them for GM.

rogerwa

Commander
I did the battery thing already to no remedy.. I know I can get a BCM, even OEM, for a reasonable price. But My understanding is it needs to be programmed by the dealer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
could also be the clock spring for the drives air bag, or a faulty wire, or the plug behind the kickpanel, or a bad front sensor (need to read the airbag codes)
could be a faulty drivers door switch for the lights.
could be a faulty transfer case selector switch, or the TCCM needs a reprogram TSB #1481410

dont you just love multi-processor vehicles.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Some really good OBDII readers can read all those things as well as the typical OBDII codes. But those type readers are equally expensive too. If you could find someone that has such a reader, you could maybe pin point the problem(s). But honestly, it still is a crap shoot getting quality reading for the actual problem so many times.

I once had my father's '96 S10 PU give such readings and even anti-lock brake lights on the dash. He had a bad clock spring in the steering column AND a bad solder joint in the anti-lock brake module's circuit board. But getting to those issues was a long hard isolation effort. How I found out the cold solder joint was because once I isolated the anti-lock brake issue to the actual module, I found out that even a used one was hundreds of dollars. So I decided to open his up to have a look-see. And to my amazement, there were a few relays and a very small handful of parts on a large circuit board. Nothing that would justify the high cost by any stretch. And once looking at the solder side I found a bad looking solder joint. So I re-soldered all the joints and reassembled it and installed it back and it worked perfectly ever since. The clock spring I found disassembling the steering wheel to install a new turn signal lever.

So all the codes were erased and it runs clean with no "check engine" or "check anti-lock brake" lights on now. JMHO!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
More than likely, you will need a reader that reads GM specific codes which most readers can't do. For my Autenginuity system, that's another $230 or so. On my Lexus, I had to have the Toyota enhanced code package to read the air bag faults.

There are also door modules as well besides the BCM

I would post your question on a Chevy truck specific site.

Have you had the codes read? If so, you should post all the code numbers.

rogerwa

Commander
No codes from my reader - would love to be able to read the airbag codes or any other for that matter. I just don't have access to any code reader that would expose these.

I have pulled the door apart and tried to diagnose it short of replacing the module (which is a royal pain to get to) - seeing the intermittent nature I tried jostling - poking- prodding the module and wire harness looking to trigger the an intermittent change to no success.

On the airbag, I have checked the sensors for corrosion and checked the connections under the seats that can get kicked.

The 4WD is a new one. I have had this happen in the past where pulling the fuse to reset corrected. But now it is not active at all.

My next step is to pull the existing BCM and check the harness connections for any rust or signs of connections issues and to examine the BCM circuit board for cold solder joints which I hear is not that uncommon. the reseat the connections good. After that if I see no change then I may need to bend over and take it in.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Normally Autozone and O'Reilly have the readers that can root out the obscure codes and they will do it for free.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
However Autozone will not read ABS or Air Bag or Window or Security System, or Lighting control modules. They are pretty much limited to ECM or TCM codes.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
However Autozone will not read ABS or Air Bag or Window or Security System, or Lighting control modules. They are pretty much limited to ECM or TCM codes.

Scott, I have had Autozone read the ABS codes on my Fords several times over the last couple of years, the local AZ has all of the various scanners that will read just about anything you want.

rogerwa

Commander
My experience with O'reilly is that it doesn't read those extended codes. I was trying to see what the airbag error was and the oreilly scan tool could read them.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
my local AZ guys do not know the difference between Center Bolt and Perimeter.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well basically none of the typical auto parts stores really have great technicians...oh who am I kidding, counter people. Everyone I've ever went to can look up parts, but YOU better know exactly what you want or they will have you in left field so many times. Simple things they have serious troubles with. So I try to look on the computer screen as they are scanning through the parts list so I can tell them the one I need. I usually look things up well before going to them these days. Gone are days when the truly knowledgeable folks work at such places. If I am not in any great hurry to get the vehicle running quickly again, I will order through Rock Auto and pocket the savings every time. JMHO!

bassman284

Commander
It's been a long time since I've done any dyi but I generally found that the NAPA guys are pretty knowledgeable.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My experience with O'reilly is that it doesn't read those extended codes. I was trying to see what the airbag error was and the oreilly scan tool could read them.

Then I am sorry to say, you guys have bad autozone and O'Reilly stores.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, but what a pain in the butt to run to "auto store of your choice" to have codes pulled.

I can't even imagine going through troubleshooting, replacing or fixing something and then running back to the auto parts store when your CEL comes back on.

That's why long ago I purchased a professional scanner system...a bit costly in the beginning but has paid for itself over many times.
https://www.autoenginuity.com/

Also why I have a Rinda scanner for my Mercury outboard.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have my own code pullers as well, I have to many cars and it is to far to go to the store every time I need to pull a code, but it is a nice service to have available if you only need a code every once in a while.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
In the OP's case, his is going to be a troubleshooting that will need to have the codes pulled multiple times unless by blind luck he gets it fixed the first time.

I have my own code pullers as well
So why do you have autozone pull codes then?

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
In the OP's case, his is going to be a troubleshooting that will need to have the codes pulled multiple times unless by blind luck he gets it fixed the first time.

So why do you have autozone pull codes then?

I don't anymore, I have had all my code puller for close to 5 years now.