Full-blown tablet newbie with some questions

lakelover

Rear Admiral
OK, folks, be kind. You're talking to someone who doesn't even own a cell phone.

My wife wants a tablet for xmas and both of us are totally ignorant on the subject. Primarily, she wants to use it for e-books, checking email on the road, and some light recreational browsing such as Facebook etc....not especially interested in phone use. I've looked at some Kindles and a Samsung Tab 4 on Amazon. We figure she needs an 8-9" screen, and the budget top number is $300 (including all accessories such as case and micro-SD card.

We've been trying to compare various ones within the price range, and looking for something that will fill the need without paying for a whole lot of stuff she doesn't care about is pretty confusing. After reading pages and pages of questions and reviews on the Kindles, I feel that they are too limited by their relationship to Amazon, and a surprising number (to me) of people say that they fail soon after the warranty expires, and Amazon's customer service regarding these devices hasn't been what I would expect from Amazon. That's a deal-breaker for me.

Have also seen several recommendations for Nexus.

Currently looking at this one: any thoughts, given the goals stated above?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you have Amazon Prime and watch movies then the Kindle would be nice to have as they let you stream on the Kindle but not on an Android device. My girlfriend has a Kindle Fire and she likes it.

I have the very first Nexus 7 and like it for traveling. It is a bit slow now and hasn't reacted nicely with the newer operating systems. A nexus 9 is $399 so that is out of your price range.

One thing I like about my Nexus is that it has GPS so I can use it as a Nav device even though I don't have a cellular hook up for it. I use preloaded maps so it doesn't need an internet connection. Make sure you look at the specs to see if the one you are looking at has GPS if that is important to you. It isn't for most people.

To me having an sd card slot or not is not a deal breaker. On my Nexus, I can plug in a USB thumb drive with a small cable and transfer files like movies if I am on a long trip.

BTW, the Tab 4 is a pretty old device now.

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral
I don't think slow speed would be so much of a problem for her, unless it's "dial-up" slow. Hard to say, but I doubt she would watch movies on it.

At home we have Verizon DSL. (Aside: Verizon is one of several providers currently being investigated by the NY Attorney General to see if they are really delivering the speeds customers are paying for. Sometims I doubt that they are!)

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
am still using two cans and a string! Problem is no one ever picks up the other can!!!

southkogs

Staff member
An apple iPad WIFI and refurbished directly from Apple is about $339. Not the fanciest iPad they have, but it's carrying the same warranty as band new - and I've been VERY pleased at all of what an iPad will do.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Actually my wife has been using her Kindle for over three years now and does basically everything you are describing and I have a Kindle Fire HD and do anything I want on it, including watching the NASCAR races and cruising around the internet, I used it the other night to purchase stuff on ebay, I and my Wife would not know what to do without our Kindles. My Kindle is the only device I have that will consistently connect to the internet at full N speed!

Last edited:

hosteter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have three tablets all china brands.i am very satisfies with all.all android,10 inch screen,quad core procesors and built in gps.price 100 euro pice.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Thanks for the info so far!

I
BTW, the Tab 4 is a pretty old device now.

I tend to let technology mellow before I buy electronic gadgetry! :)

am still using two cans and a string! Problem is no one ever picks up the other can!!!

Ha! I moved to an electric phone Years ago!! Actually, getting no phone calls must be heaven! I'd say that 85-90% of our calls are sales/political/robocalls. And we ARE on the Do Not Call list.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Amazon has a Kindle HD 10 with a 10" display, front and rear cameras, WI-FI and with optional 32G of memory and optional 32G SD card for about $250. We have a Kindle Fire HDX 8.6 " and it's become our travel internet device. Laptops stay home now.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
I looked at that HDX and to my untrained eye, specs and features looked better than the HD's. The only HDX's I see are used or refurbished, also deal breakers. A lot of reviewers say the HD is a step backwards from the HDX, in terms of speed and functions, in order to offer a lower price range. Can anyone who has used both substantiate that?

One thing I see repeated in the reviews over and over is that when Amazon replaces an in-warranty Kindle, they replace it with a refurbished one. To me, that's kinda sleazy. We have Prime, but have noticed recently that several items we have ordered have not made it to us in the "guaranteed" time period. Amazon seems to be slipping a little bit lately.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
We have Prime, but have noticed recently that several items we have ordered have not made it to us in the "guaranteed" time period. Amazon seems to be slipping a little bit lately.
I almost always get my packages in the guaranteed times. Sometimes, I get it the next day when I order it that night. I think its more the carriers and not Amazon. Also depends on how close you are to a distribution point. In Los Angeles, it's amazingly fast.

I would have no problem buying an Amazon tablet.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have the HD and I am very pleased with it, it will be two years now in December, and I have no complaints at all about it, for what I do, it does it all and has the HD display. As far as Amazon, I get all of my stuff I order from them when they say I will, most of the time it is a one day deal for me, they ship from Seattle to me and it is very quick.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
One thing I see repeated in the reviews over and over is that when Amazon replaces an in-warranty Kindle, they replace it with a refurbished one. To me, that's kinda sleazy. We have Prime, but have noticed recently that several items we have ordered have not made it to us in the "guaranteed" time period. Amazon seems to be slipping a little bit lately.

In my experience over the last 10 years or so, manufacturers of consumer electronics virtually always replace them with refurbished units. From laptops to TV's to 2 car GPS's (one Garmin, one Magellan), I haven't ever gotten a brand new replacment. I think most are built from the same cheap components, some number of which are expected to fail. The manufacturer's choice is simple- fix it and ship it out as a replacement for the next customer, or end up with thousands of broken units that all need a $2.00 part.

My .02

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral
All good points and glad to get others' views on Amazon. I guess I have not had en electronic device fail within the warranty period, so I wasn't aware that is common practice. We do like our Prime, I'll have to pay closer attention to the time from shipment to delivery. But even if that's the problem, shippers need to use the method that will meet their guarantees.

A lot more research to come, I guess. All this info is real helpful.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ha! I moved to an electric phone Years ago!! Actually, getting no phone calls must be heaven! I'd say that 85-90% of our calls are sales/political/robocalls. And we ARE on the Do Not Call list.[/QUOTE]

tried electricity.... but couldn't hang up/let go of the can! lol
I just figure that I don't need to be that accessible anymore.... Those that need reach me know how to

lakelover

Rear Admiral
tried electricity.... but couldn't hang up/let go of the can! lol
I just figure that I don't need to be that accessible anymore.... Those that need reach me know how to

We see eye to eye on this one.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hopefully a refurb unit gets back to me quicker then my repaired broken one would....

I have a high tolerance for buying refurb electronics IF the price is attractive enough. 10 or 15% off wouldnt be sufficient. But w 'free' extra accessories, cases or a larger SD card it could be.

Have either of you USED a fully functional tablet? Nothing compares to hands on, esp w new tech.

My mom got a tablet about a year ago for the same reason you all are looking. Took some adjustment to learn the android system, but easily moved to a smartphone 6mo later and hasnt had any problems. Nearly a techie now :facepalm:

At a former job, I had a Samsung tablet, and I loved it, much more then lugging my laptop around

Good luck.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Have either of you USED a fully functional tablet? Nothing compares to hands on, esp w new tech.

The answer to that one is "No". :D The only touch screen I've ever used, aside from ATM's etc. is an ipod. My wife has a Galaxy 5 phone for work, so she is more advanced than I am!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Try to get out and put your hands on some fully functional tablets. I don't care for the smartphone my wife loves (android, not Samsung, LG maybe) and she doesn't care for my large format Samsung S5. You and the Admiral might like different tablets, not all user interfaces and menu, esp settings, are the same. Screen type is often different too, amoled or whatever the other choices are...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Try Best Buy, WallyWorld, Staples and places like that. Most have tablets you can play with and the sales people love to show off their skills.