CHevy 4.3L V6 fuel injector spider

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have a 93 S-10 with the 2.8L, a 95 Tahoe with the 5.7L and an 04 F150 with the 5.4L. The Ford gets the best mileage, more power, and more comfortable for me than anything else.
Our 04 Ford F-150 with the 5.4L got at best 16MPG on the highway. It's a thirsty vehicle too. One of the reasons its gone.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Bruce, at 70, that F150 consistently turns between 17-18 mpg running empty, in town, it gets around 15, depending on how much it idles in the mornings warming up. Being someone who has never lived north of I-10 until 2 years ago, I am not a cold weather boy. That GMC Acadia will turn 25 at 70 and 32 at 60-65 on the interstate. I wouldnt trade that F150 for anything other than a new F150 with the ecoboost. My S-10 with the 4.3 would get 17 running empty but didnt have enough power or performance for me.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Does your Ford have the 3.73 rear end? Ours did.

Hope you don't have problems with your spark plugs and phasers.

We drove Los Angeles to Portland once and drove max 70 and the average for the entire trip was 16 according to the computer in it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well a final recap. I now have my '98 4.3L Blazer all put back together and is thus far running very nice. New plugs, plug wires, rotor, distributor cap, thermostat, intake gaskets, water neck, and even the new MPI AC Delco spider. And she cranked and run like there was never any issue what so ever. So I guess all the new parts worked... We will see if there is any better gas mileage numbers in a few weeks now. It starts really quickly, but then it never took any time to crank. :thumb:

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
gm that is good news, i have had issues with everyone of the spiders, glad you got it running. One more thing to be aware of on the S-10's is the fuel pump. There is a rubber hose between the pump and the sending unit that goes bad. it is a PITA to change but only takes an hour or so.

Bruce, i have the 3:55 rear end, had the phasers changed at 150k, and the plugs done every 60k with no issues. Like everything else, there are good ones and there are great ones.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Harritwo, I changed the in tank fuel pump and associated parts about a year ago so all that has been taken cared of. But thanks for the heads up as well. :thumb:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Bruce, i have the 3:55 rear end, had the phasers changed at 150k, and the plugs done every 60k with no issues. Like everything else, there are good ones and there are great ones.
That explains the mileage difference. I got the 3.73 for towing. My Chevy has the 3.73 and it gets 19MPG.

Ask lncoop about his 5.4 issues.

There are class action lawsuits against Ford for both the spark plug and phasers issues on this engine.

Last edited:

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
GM,

Good to hear you have it all taken care of, right now i have an S-10 with the 2.8 and it is my beater but it runs good. i just use it around town anymore but they are hard to kill.Parts are cheap and plentiful at the bone yards or any of the local part stores. Makes it worth it to keep it as long as you want to keep it.

Bruce

Yeah, I went through the spark plug change in the beginning, had mine done at 80K for the first time. Supposed to have run 100K without a tuneup. Broke 3 off but got them out with the tool. Dealer wanted to charge me $50.00 a hole for each one that broke, but i had the paperwork on the 100k without tuneup and wound up paying the normal book price of $300 for a spark plug change. The phasers i ran until 150k when i had them changed. The thing a lot of folks didnt know and Ford didnt tell is there are a lot of TSB's out. From going to a 5w-30 oil, using a filter with a silicon anti-siphon valve instead of a paper valve, to changing plugs at 60k with a certain procedure. Not one of their better ideas but mine is the Lariat and is set up for towing with the factory tow package. Have never had an issue with it but i do with the GMC Acadia. You get a good one and a bad one from everything it seems these days anymore.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yeah..GMC Acadia's are not good cars. We have a friend that had nothing but trouble with the transmission. They just sold it.

dolluper

Captain
I believe your screwed unless it's a 99 build the spider injectors are not replaceable in 98 and older, complete assembly required,as to better gas mileage FAI never happen