2008 Ram 2500 6.7L AC clutch bolt

alldodge

Staff member
Good thing I back the truck up yesterday and left it running, I heard a slight noise under the hood, couldn't hear it inside the truck. Turned out the clutch end plate was laying on the fan shroud. Appears the bolt had broke off. So I have a small maybe 3/16 diameter stud sticking out the end of the compressor shaft. It's in a tight place so getting to it will take some doing.

Also trying to figure out how to hold it to remove the rest of the bolt/stud. Some research shows it may have up to 4 shim washers on it. Could use a breakdown of the parts so I can figure out what needs to be replaced, and if I can get it done. Not bad for 129K miles without much issue until now.

Good thing it's getting cold, no need for the AC

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't you have a single serpentine belt and the truck is dead now? The AC compressor is also activated during defrost cycles.

Do you know what brand of compressor is in the truck? I've found online Sanderson (?) compressor rebuild instructions, not that you have to go that far unless it seized, that include shim set-up for the clutch.

Is much of the broken bolt sticking out of the shaft? Unless the bolt is bottomed out, it shouldn't be too difficult to break loose....If you can get to it. I think there is a key on the compressor shaft, so if a pair of tape or cardboard protected vice grips can fit, needle nose pliers might break the stud loose.

You might be removing a lot of the truck to get to it. :blue:

GA_Boater

You posted pics while I was typing ^^^^^. Never mind the belt question.

A large snap ring holds the pulley onto the nose of the compressor. But that nose is going to make it hard to hold the shaft because it's recessed.

alldodge

Staff member
It does have a serpentine belt but it's not dead, runs just fine, The plate that goes over it gets pulled in when to engage the compressor.

Agree the truck will energize the coil during defrost but it just won't turn the compressor without the plate being there.

Spent that last hour trying to find something to hold it from under the truck but no dice. There is about a 1/4 of the bolt sticking out so I can grab a hold, but no way to hold the shaft, just very little room.

Probably going to see if I can drop it down enough to get at it, or take it to someone else to do it. Kept thinking I need to replace the original belt any way

Edit: agree with your second post, was typing my self :D

GA_Boater

The truck has a Halla HS18 compressor if that helps at all.

Can you get a screwdriver in to wedge the shaft?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would pull the compressor. I have not had a clutch come apart like that. something is awry to cause that. its probably only a matter of time before the clutch bearings lock up.

alldodge

Staff member
I would pull the compressor. I have not had a clutch come apart like that. something is awry to cause that. its probably only a matter of time before the clutch bearings lock up.

You might be right, but the bolt breaking might also be material defect. If the compressor is to be replaced don't know if I'll do it. I have all the equipment except a refrigerant recycle unit. Thing may just try lowering it enough to get at the stud. If it breaks again in the future I'm no worst off

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if your running R134A, you can refill the system with 3 cans of freon from your local FLAPS

use a heating pad to bring the cans up to temp. use one can to purge the system of air, then use the other two to fill.

alldodge

Staff member
Have a 30lb tank, oil, vacuum pump, gauges and digital scale.

So it holds 24 oz?

If I did it would need to try and not loose any oil, then also need a dryer or I guess leave the vacuum pump on it for a few hours

GA_Boater

If the fan shroud is moved out of the way, would that help?.

Do you have enough room and stud left to double nut? The broken end may be too boogered up to get a nut on the threads.

alldodge

Staff member
If the shroud could be moved it would help but. I would have to remove the fan and maybe radiator to move the shroud out of the way.

There is not enough of the stud left to get a nut on, it has to come out

GA_Boater

And you're laying on your back working on that, aren't you? Always fun.

alldodge

Staff member
And you're laying on your back working on that, aren't you? Always fun.

Oh yea, always fun, and in the gravel to.

I'm leaning right now to just leave it alone until spring. Might not, could move it into the shop and get at it, but mussels and joints and talking to me right now after just finished putting new chains and such on my track loader

Scott Danforth

Staff member

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks Scott

Just remembered, I bought a compressor and dryer for my 2000 Doge, but never installed because turned out it was the evaporator. Either way it won't fit, and this compressor has a stud with a nut. Pics from the 2008 model uses a bolt and nut.

Looks like I have the right oil (SP-15) just not enough of it. Appears cross is PAG 100 or older SP-20

Photo850.jpg

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would leave it until the spring and then buy a complete new rebuilt pump with the clutch already on it, then go from there, I am one of those that is to tired to keep trying to rebuild stuff that breaks, where I live I can't work on stuff until summer gets here, in fact I have an 03 Explorer I am getting ready to tow to town and have a young mechanic replace the rear timing chain on it, I just don't want to pull the darn engine! With the weather the last few days, my gravel has turned to cold mud and I don't want to lay in it, in a few weeks it will be ice and certainly don't want to lay in that stuff anymore than I have to and I normally have to work on the plow enough during the winter that I get real tired of ice!

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I leaning that way MT, these old bones and joints are barking real loud at me now, and I just don't need the AC now.