Unable to use Google on one computer

alldodge

Staff member
This is a new one, have four computers and only one of them cannot use google to search anymore. Don't know what happened but it is the one I use most often for iboats. Google comes up, but enter anything and press search and nothing happens.

I have Isoview loaded for Caterpillar software, and it has to run in Unprotected mode. In most cases I search CAT for parts and turn protect mode back on, other times I forget. Any ideas why it will not search?

Don't like bing, but right now its about all I have

southkogs

Staff member
Take a look through your program list in "Add or Remove Programs" to see if anything has been added in a recent download. There's TON of stuff that comes in as ad ware when you download and it puts an add-on or software into your system without you always knowing.

You may also want to reset your internet history and clear your cache.

tpenfield

Staff member
Sounds like 'Bing' has taken over as your default search program. There is a way to switch that, but it is too early in the morning for me to remember. :D Just search "how to change default search engine" and it should guide you through . . .

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
are you talking the google search app, or google chrome? is the one computer set for auto update of the software?

alldodge

Staff member
Using Exp 11 and my home page is just the Google web site search engine. With a restart of the computer I can do a search and it comes up, sometimes two. After that I can type in the words but it will not search.

I have ad.doubleclick listed in my restricted sites

Wonder if flashplayer 19 has anything to do with it, just installed 10/20/15

alldodge

Staff member
Looks like somehow the last time I updated Adobe reader it installed Bing as my default browser add on. There are always two boxes when updating and they always want you to select Bing, and I always uncheck them. Found it in the add-on section. Now to figure out how to get rid of it. Only have an option of disable suggestions not to remove it from the add on

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you have the Search Toolbar, click on the magnifying glass, then click Change Search Settings. Set Google back to be the default search engine. You can do the same by clicking the 3 bars in the tool bar and, Options and then Search. When you're clicking the 3 bars, check Add-ons and disable Bing if it still shows in the list of Add-ons.

I hate that so many "updates" want to change your browser default settings. :blue:.

alldodge

Staff member
Been trying all kinds of things and the only one which has worked so far is the RESET ie button. Log in as admin and rest it, it was working again, but wipes out everything. Bing only shows up in the search provider add on. When I try to add another, the ie gallery shows up and you have to be quick to down load the program. Starts off showing Google is 99% blocked.

Managed to get the google software downloaded and ran it, but nothing changed. Found a method of doing some regedit but ddon't like getting in there unless I have to. Have made several mods thru the years but rally try to stay away.

Also looks like my second computer has the same issue now.

oldjeep

Admiral
Google has been working intermittently for me in that same way today. It appears that what is happening is that it is trying to load the suggestions as I type and locks up not allowing a search.

alldodge

Staff member
Managed to get google loaded as a search engine. GA you were right was looking at it but did not see (forrest/tree thing)
Added google then went to add-ons and removed bing. Now google will search but not in the main window opening, only when I type the same thing in the address bar. I think I messed up the string I should have used when using Regedit.

Put in www.google.com only, think it should end with ?=something. Need to search and find the code again

GA_Boater

You're halfway out of the forest, :smile:

Try using a restore point from an earlier save. That should restore the register to what it was before you Regedit'ed.

alldodge

Staff member
Looks like the regedit is not the issue, all my computers are dong the same thing with google except one, and that one has Chrome installed. Appears that under the cloak of a security update there was something in there to change chrome. Scanned all computers and nothing came back with anything. I can get use to using the address bar instead of the main search but just like things like they were

NYBo

Admiral
Mine just did this (Pale Moon browser). My antivirus program (AVG) was apparently frozen at the time.Rebooting restored function.

alldodge

Staff member
I'll look into it GA

If I reboot I can do the standard search without issue. its only when I do it more then twice, or close and reopen IE

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Try to erase all cookies, history, saved everything from your browser. That may help.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
There should also be a check box in settings to open search in new window or tab. Fin this box and check how you like it.

You may also try backing to ie10, which may also help with the Cat site. I know they have just upgraded us to 10.

alldodge

Staff member
Its now working correctly, found out that I could do a search if I entered it into the address bar, but not the main bar. After doing this for a few days, now it works just like if nothing ever changed, don't know but works OK now

GA_Boater

Its now working correctly, found out that I could do a search if I entered it into the address bar, but not the main bar. After doing this for a few days, now it works just like if nothing ever changed, don't know but works OK now

Making Adjustments. :smash:

:bounce: