Generators

scipper77

Commander
tachometer would get you there. 3600 RPM on a 2-poll genny is 60 hz, 3000 RPM is 50 HZ (4-poll gennys are 1800 RPM and 1500 RPM)

The real consideration here is making sure your generator head rpm's are whats at 3,600 rpms. I know a 1:1 pulley ratio (I'd be belt driven) and knowing engine rpm's should get you there but I'd like to know that I am supplying something to my house that wont harm anything.

I don't have advanced knowledge when it comes to A/C but I do know you can damage equipment if you are not supplying them with exactly what they are designed for. An example that comes to mind is a buddy of mine (who ironically is a master electrician) was having issues with blowing motors on an electric leaf blower (and it's replacement). Turns out he was running too long of an extension cord. I think He had 2 together and either one was of sufficient gauge but in series the voltage drop was too much.

For me, instead of trying to understand the fine details that are important I would like to start by making sure that the power I am supplying is as good as if it were coming from the utility company. My refrigerator would be a lot more of an issue to replace than a leaf blower. It would also offset the money I tried to save by making my own generator.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
My wife's dad is quite frail and lives in rural MI. Due to health issues the man is always cold, and last winter they lost power for an entire week. We are afraid that in his weakened state, if it happens again, he will need to be transported back to the hospital. How do I pick a generator and hook it up? One concern is that my mother in law will have to start it.

Howdy,

Your problem is that you need a generator that can be easily started and operated.

You DO NOT want your (older) Mother Inlaw dragging a generator out into a storm, plugging it into ANYTHING, and manually trying to figure out what circuit breakers to open in an electrical panel!!

You also DO NOT want her to have to go outside in a storm and try to pour gasoline in a (hot) generator that just ran out of gas and pull a rope because the battery is dead etc..............

You do need (if you want to have backup power) an externally, permanently mounted gas or propane (if available) generator with an AUTO-transfer panel that auto starts with loss of power..

I am not a licensed electrician. BUT I did install (start to finish including obtaining a permit & inspection) a 7KW Generac autostart generator on our community well system. (2 --3hp 240v well pumps and lighting)

I also installed a 120gallon propane tank and plumbed it to the generator. (In Wa, a 120 gallon propane tank is considered "portable" ....no permit required)

If you can pull your own electrical permit and you can follow directions, You can wire it all up yourself.

If you know someone that is an electrician, get them to help.

If they live out in rural MI, they likely have propane. There is no loss of power when comparing a gasoline powered generator to Propane. (Natural gas generators produce a tad less power because NG has less BTU per CU-FT)

Here in Wa, we have 2 or 3 outages per year. I installed the generator and 120 gallon propane tank in FEB 2009. I have had it filled once since 2009. The generator runs every week for about 15-20 min. The longest it has ran continuously is about 2 days. Because water well pumps are intermittent in nature, the generator runs unloaded most of the time. And the pumps run at most for 5-10 min to pump the system up.

If you were going to run it on a house, and you had more than just lights refrigerator and maybe a propane furnace, you'd probably want a 250 or 500 gallon tank. (since it would be supplying the furnace, water heater stove etc AND the generator) If you already have gas, you're "good" just pay attention to the natural gas power rating of the generator.

Regards,

Rick