Hooking up 'puter to tv.......

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Basically, I could turn CEC on/off. Didn't help....

The tv model: E4201-B0 Vizio

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
From reading the instructions in GA's post, I don't think that's where the problem is. The ports should be live regardless of the CEC setting. Start with both the TV and computer off. Connect the HDMI cable. Turn on the TV, making sure it is set for the proper HDMI port. Then boot the computer.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
Is this a desktop or laptop? If a laptop, you may need to toggle between screen displays. Usually you can do this through the function keys on top. If a desktop, try switching video output modes through the video card software.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
From reading the instructions in GA's post, I don't think that's where the problem is. The ports should be live regardless of the CEC setting. Start with both the TV and computer off. Connect the HDMI cable. Turn on the TV, making sure it is set for the proper HDMI port. Then boot the computer.

Frustration continues. I tried doing this with the tv since that only works on the one port too, HDMI-3. I plugged the cable cord into HDMI-2. Set the device to 2 and turned the tv off. Turned it back on and "no signal". Clicked on "devices" and HDMI-1 was hi-lited. I wonder if I'm really not getting off 3 yet, where everything will work? When

I hi-lite 2, hit ok, goes to a screen to add a name for that port and I hit OK which brings me back to the Device screen.

Is this a desktop or laptop? If a laptop, you may need to toggle between screen displays. Usually you can do this through the function keys on top. If a desktop, try switching video output modes through the video card software.

It's F3. Looks like a computer/tv screen with a verticcal line on each side. It's trying to work when the cable is plugged in to HDMI-2. I get a drop down menu with 4 choices:
PC screen only
Duplicate
Extend
Second screen Only

It should be Dup or Extend. When you put it on Second Screen Only the PC screen goes blank like it should. So, it seems like it's trying to do its thing. Again, I wondering if I'm not getting off HDMI-3?

I just plugged in the 'puter to HDMI-3 with the tv hooked to 2 and the 'puter displays on the tv. Appears to be working on Dup.

Either the other 2 ports are junk, or, I must not be accessing them properly....

Thanks for everyone's help...