Hooking up 'puter to tv.......

WIMUSKY

Staff member
This is probably wrong since it would be easy. Would all I need is an HDMI cord connected between the 2, go to devices on the tv and click on the HDMI port I'm hooked to?

Thanks......

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yup, that is all ya do, then you are good to go with both picture and sound, might have to adjust the TV format to fit the screen correctly, but it works great, I do it on my second TV with my Media Center Computer.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Cool, thanks..... I'll pick up a cord when I drop off my LT and then pick up the trailer which is being made to look purty and the corner is fixed from the previous owner jack knifing it...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
HDMI cables are cheapest thru amazon (about $6). they are about $20 at wallymart

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I buy good quality HDMI cables with network capabilities off ebay for 5 for $20 bucks with free shipping, much cheaper than any box store as well as amazon. I have been buying from the same company that supplies hundreds of retailers in this country, Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon and a host of others. Get them off ebay and save a ton of money.

thumpar

Admiral
I use monoprice for stuff like that. They are cheap but have quality stuff.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Have HDMI cord hooked between the 'puter and tv. Went to devices on tv. How to I talk to my computer. Right now HDMI3 is for the cable which is running..... There's a device called Comp too.....

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Comp is not what you want. You want whichever HDMI port you hooked the cable to. Try HDMI 1 and 2 with the computer on.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yeah, I looked behind the tv and figured out what comp is. The cable is hooked to 3 which is on the side of the tv. 1 and 2 are on the bottom. I'm hooked to one of them, they're not labeld. I hilited each on on devices and still just have cable playing..

Are you saying I need to unhook the cable from the port on the tv? I would think I should be able to hook to 1 or 2?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Just try hooking the puter into the HDMI port the cable is hooked to for testing to see if it works. There may be some needed setup on the puter.

NYBo

Admiral
Just try hooking the puter into the HDMI port the cable is hooked to for testing to see if it works. There may be some needed setup on the puter.
Correct. The computer should automatically detect the HDMI hookup, but it might take a few seconds.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I'll give it a try since it doesn't seem to work on 1 or 2. I'll have to wait until half time tho... :)

GA_Boater

Why waste the 2 minute warning. That gives you almost 5 minutes. LOL

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Its working on the cable port. Looks pretty cool. Colors are much more vivd and show the "Real" color of cars to some shows I've been to.

SO what's this telling us? I haven't tried hooking the cable to another port yet......

GA_Boater

When you select one of the non-working HDMI input ports on the TV, does it stay on that port? I have to click OK or Enter to actually choose a new input port.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
How do I get the other 2 ports working? It's a Vizio Smart

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yeah, I have to hit ok and it selects it. No go.....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Actually it goes to 1....... Cable is on 3. That really seems to be the default even tho it's not hi-lited...

GA_Boater

Try enabling CEC. Just a guess on this one,
cec.PNG

Last edited: