Windows license to expire?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I got the impression that the OP was asking about a special license of Win7 that going to "expire". I would think that using it without updates might be problematic even if it didn't "die" etc.

Currently the hackers are working on Win 8.1 and Win 10, the older versions are not even on their radar anymore, as I said, if you pick something up, it is going to be older code that already has been fixed, I have not seen any new win 7 code for over 2 years now, and the core on 8.1 and 10 is so much different that it won't infect the older versions.

64osby

Admiral
OP here, I have 8.1, now the "flag" has evolved to a full blue screen that directs me to setting and wanting me to validate me license.

So far just closing the page allows me to use the computer as normal.

NYBo

Admiral
The license number on the back of the computer won't be valid for a different version of Windows. In the system properties window, does it indicate that Windows is activated?
I just read that a Windows 7/8/8.1 license number IS valid for the Windows 10 free upgrade or clean install.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yes, every version from 8.0 up is valid for a free upgrade or new install, but one of the keys is, that you have a legitimate copy.

thumpar

Admiral
Yes, every version from 8.0 up is valid for a free upgrade or new install, but one of the keys is, that you have a legitimate copy.
Windows 7 also qualifies for the free Windows 10 upgrade as long as it is not an enterprise version.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Windows 7 also qualifies for the free Windows 10 upgrade as long as it is not an enterprise version.

Sorry, forgot that, it was late when I posted that and I had just drove over 700 miles!