Audio-visual cable gurus ~ connection question

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I'm at a cabin for a few days and wanted to connect a DVD player to a new flat-screen TV.
The only compatible cable option is the component video (RGB) RCA jack cable from the output on the DVD player to the input on TV.
I don't have the correct cable, but have extra audio cables. I also am 50 miles from anywhere I can purchase the RGB cable.

Question: I am not concerned with the video quality as long as it's watchable , but if I use the audio cables (colour-matched correctly) is there potential for damage?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Thanks. Will use these for now and get correct cable when back in town.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
People get way to hung up on cables and spend way too much money.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Hmmm.
Are you saying that the audio ones are A-OK?

I am not averse to avoiding the additional purchase. :)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
The wires on the video cables are larger gauge....or at least seem like it. Maybe they just use thicker insulation "for effect". :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
RCA cables will work for either audio or video without any problems. You can buy cables labeled for video if you want, but I can tell you there will be zero difference in picture quality between the video and audio cables. As long as you are using them for short runs, there will be no issues either way. JMHO!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just make sure to connect the same colors on the TV and the DVD player, it does not matter what color the cables are. Yellow is video signal and red and white are audio signals, on some of the newer equipment you will also have component hook ups which is red green blue, but they will all interchange. Your DVD is not High Definition, so you will be hooking up the composite video.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Most newer DVD players have component video out. If you use composite on a big screen TV, your picture will be 480i and 4x3 aspect ratio. Always use component outputs when hooked to a big screen TV. The DVD player or TV will upscale the 480P signal to 720P or higher and will look WAY better than using composite outputs(480i).

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Bruce, he said, newer TV, he did not say newer DVD player, we don't know exactly what the hook ups on the DVD player is, so I went with the lowest common type of DVD that is out there, I just looked at a new DVD player the other day, that has HDMI hook ups, which would be ideal if it had that, then it would only take one cable for both video and sound.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would have to know the model of the DVD to actually understand what he is talking about, does it have the Red Green Blue on it? If so, it will also require the audio cables to be hooked up as well, which would be a 5 wire hook up on the back, I have gone to customers houses and they told me RGB hook up and when I get there it is actually a composite hook up.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is the case here, but as he has not posted back, it would seem he has probably got it working.

I have not seen a unit that has only component hook up, they always have the composite as well.

Now if we want to debate, that is fine, but it would not be a productive debate, especially if he already has it working.

Sure seems like you like to argue with me the last couple of months?

I do hope or wish, we could get out of the adversarial relationship.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am sure if he says he has component and he states RGB, that is what he has.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
If it is RGB video to RGB video it really doesn't matter what cables you use as long as it is not RGBHV. You won't get sound over it though.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I guess I should have been clearer in my OP.

I should have said that the only compatible cable option is component video (RGB) RCA jack cable from the output on the DVD player to the input on TV.

My question was not HOW to connect the components but whether there was any significant difference between the audio intended cables and the video ones.

Thanks to all respondents.
It worked fine and I was able to watch my DVD set last night. :)

Last edited: