Cloud E-mail

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I have an online email that reports to MS outlook express. That email has a spam folder. I never access my email directly from the provider. I let it download to Outlook express. Is there any way to add a 'spam' folder to Outlook Express and have those emails downloaded to it? I hate to have to go to the provider website to see them.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have an online email that reports to MS outlook express. That email has a spam folder. I never access my email directly from the provider. I let it download to Outlook express. Is there any way to add a 'spam' folder to Outlook Express and have those emails downloaded to it? I hate to have to go to the provider website to see them.
To setup outlook express to download your spam messages:

1. click on tools
  2. then accounts
  3. click on the mail tab
  4. click on add
  5. then mail.
  6. It will ask for your name then click next
  7. Your email address then click next
  8. Your mail server names. Both are mail.tfon.com then click next
  9. Then your username and password. For your username you want to type in username-spam@tfon.com , and your normal password. then click next.
  10. After creating the account, select the new account and click on the properties button on the right.
  11. Click on the Servers tab
  12. Verify that the account name is username-spam@tfon.com. If it is continue on, otherwise click cancel and check the properties of the other account listed.
  13. Put a check mark in the box at the bottom that says, "my server requires authentication."
  14. Click on the General tab
  15. In the "Mail Account" section at the top, rename from mail.tfon.com to Spam Folder.
  16. Click on the OK button at the bottom.
  17. Click on the Close button on the right.
When you setup this account all the spam will, by default, go into your inbox. To solve this problem you can create a new folder called spam and create a mail rule that tells Outlook Express to send all spam messages to the spam folder.
To do this:

1. In your Folders List, right click on Local Folders
  2. Left click on New Folder. Name this folder Spam.
  3. Next click on Tools, Message rules, and Mail.
  4. When the message rules box comes up you want to click on New
  5. In box #1, put a check mark in "Where the message is from the specified account."
  6. In the box #2, put a check mark in 'Move to the specified folder'.
  7. In box #3, click on "Where message is from the specified account".
  8. Choose the new spam account you created and click the OK button.
  9. In box #3, click on "Move it to the specified folder"
  10. Choose the spam folder and click the OK button
  11. In box #4, rename from "New Mail Rule #...." to "Spam Folder" then click the OK button at the bottom.
  12. Click the OK button at the bottom again and you are now done!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Wow! I need an IT guy to do all that. But I will try to wade thru it all after my evening wine has worn off. Thanks!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Unfortunately with to many things in our life that is suppose to make things easier, they didn't make it easy!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
^^^ The ultimate solution, but you still have to scan the SPAM.

For the non-propeller heads like me, an easier way to separate the wheat from the chaff....or the SPAM from real mail, is just to vet the SPAM folder on the web and D&D the odd one that is not SPAM into your Inbox. In fact, most systems have a "Not junk" button that will do that for you.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
^^^ The ultimate solution, but you still have to scan the SPAM.

For the non-propeller heads like me, an easier way to separate the wheat from the chaff....or the SPAM from real mail, is just to vet the SPAM folder on the web and D&D the odd one that is not SPAM into your Inbox. In fact, most systems have a "Not junk" button that will do that for you.

Not sure what you mean about 'vetting the spam folder on the web'? In my case, my email server has a spam folder and stuff goes into it but that folder does not download to Outlook Express. I have to go on line, to the server's site to scan the spam folder and that is a bit of a pia when you have Outlook Express right there.

Maybe what I just described is what you meant?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Yes.
You have to sort through the SPAM to make sure that there isn't an e-mail that you actually want.
I've always found preferable to do that on the web.
That way you keep the junk off your own machine.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I hate both Outlook and Outlook Express, which is why they are not even on my machines.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Currently, I am using Thunderbird, nice light good working email reader, but for the most part, I use a mail reader on one of my servers and I don't down load the majority of mail to my computer. A good amount of my email use is on yahoo or gmail, as well as many other free email servers, I just don't have that many important emails I have to worry about these days and with yahoo, I can set up as many disposable addresses as I need. Heck the only computer that still actually has internet explorer on it, is my win 8.1 machine, I took it off my win 7 machines and on my XP pro 64 bit machine never had IE on it. I have not taken the time to see if there is a hack that I can perform on win 8 to see if I can remove it, but it is no big deal, I have never opened it up, I use FF or Palemoon for my browser..

The company I am working for is also using Outlook, so I am forced to use it, but I don't like it!

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would never download email to my computer. That's what exchange servers are for and the whole purpose of having email in the cloud. I want to be able to see my email on every device I own and when I delete it from one, I want to see it deleted on all.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't have an exchange server here at home and I am not interested in setting one up.

I cannot, use my work email for anything other than work.

My wife on the other hand, downloads all of her email to her computer, which is the way she prefers it.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
I just switched from Thunderbird to eM Client. I like it a lot. I only resorted to Thunderbird when Windows Live Mail stopped receiving email from one of my email accounts.