I know we have a few on here, that play with compters, just wondering.....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have been reading more and more about these raspberry pi computers, which fit in the palm of your hand and will run full blown linux, you can set up as a media center and now they have even come out with a version of windows 10 core for it.

Any of you guys playing with one of these? They are really inexpensive and seem like they have a lot to offer, I am wandering if they could be the wave of the future!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
We use those at my work to help bring up the power supplies on our new circuit boards before we get our onboard processor to do it.

Basically software guys like those and hardware guys like Arduino boards for doing small projects.

The processors that are in cell phones and tablets are multiple times more powerful.

Minden Tahoe

Recruit
bruceb58, sorry but the cover has a clip on top and one screw on bottom

MOD EDIT - Copied to your V-P thread

Last edited by a moderator:

rogerwa

Commander
I have one at home that I have been playing with. I have the 2nd version of the first generation and have been playing with it for a number of different things. i wanted to use it as a front end for my DVR (Mythtv) using OpenElec/XBMC (now called Kodi) but just couldn't get it to the point where it was stable enough. It doesn't break a sweat rendering the HD content, it was largely the delay in navigation on the XBMC menus that just didn't work for me. The rasberry Pi has built in support for CEC, which is a specification that allows for communication between HDMI connected devices - this allows you to control the Pi with your main remote if your set is CEC aware.

The Gen 2 may just be powerful enough to eliminate those issues and be far more responsive - I just have not dropped the $40 for the new gen. Currently I have using an Intel NUC box with I5 processor and 250Gb SSD drive for the XBMC front end. While it works great - it is total overkill for what it is doing.

I have also played with the raspberry Pi for other things like home automation and doing some breadboarding off the bus interface just for fun - it can run the whole lamp stack for websites that do not serve too many users. I had it running Zoneminder with a webcam - but that was far too much to ask.

For $40 it is a fun little device to mess with and there are some uses that it would work very well for..