Windows 10...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I can't remember seeing a keyboard without the windows key, if I remember right, the windows key started showing up back in the days of windows 95. Based on what the Wiki article states, it was actually introduced before windows 95 with the introduction of the Microsoft Natural Keyboard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_key

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
That is weird. Every keyboard I have seen over the last 10+ years (laptops included) have had it.

I have a couple of old IBM clicky keyboards. Best keyboard ever made, from the era before Windows keys!

thumpar

Admiral
I have a couple of old IBM clicky keyboards. Best keyboard ever made, from the era before Windows keys!
I had hundreds of those. They left in around 1998 when I slowly disposed of them. The pressure that is takes to push the keys was annoying and the sound was even worse. Are you running PS2 to USB or do you just have old computers?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I had hundreds of those. They left in around 1998 when I slowly disposed of them. The pressure that is takes to push the keys was annoying and the sound was even worse. Are you running PS2 to USB or do you just have old computers?

Actually for those of us that transitioned from a manual to a IBM selectric typewriter loved those old IBM clicky click keyboards on the first of the IBM pc's, they allowed us to make the transition much easier than the soft touch keyboards they made

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I have new computers, but I use adapters to make the old PS2 keyboards work. You may not like them, but I think they are miles better than most keyboards that come with computers today. I use a Dell keyboard on one of my home computers, and it is a mushy, nasty keyboard. This IBM keyboard from 1984 allows me to type much faster and with less strain on my hands. And I love the tactile feedback from the clicky keys.

thumpar

Admiral
I never had a typewriter. We always had a computer. The first one I used was an Atari with the built in keyboard. Then it was the apple II. The first computer that was truly mine was a Commodore 64.

The only thing about some of the new keyboards is that on the cheap ones the keys kind rock if you don't hit them right in the middle. I work on computers in business environments so have learned to type on even the worst junk out there. It is funny that the user thinks it is normal.

southkogs

Staff member
Actually for those of us that transitioned from a manual to a IBM selectric typewriter loved those old IBM clicky click keyboards on the first of the IBM pc's, they allowed us to make the transition much easier than the soft touch keyboards they made

^^^^ yup. I've gotten past a lot of that, particularly with the keyboards on my laptop machines. But I can't make the transition to a touchscreen keyboard like on the iPad. I just can't get the feel of it.

oldjeep

Admiral
I have new computers, but I use adapters to make the old PS2 keyboards work. You may not like them, but I think they are miles better than most keyboards that come with computers today. I use a Dell keyboard on one of my home computers, and it is a mushy, nasty keyboard. This IBM keyboard from 1984 allows me to type much faster and with less strain on my hands. And I love the tactile feedback from the clicky keys.

Used to work with a guy who had an old modified IBM PC keyboard - the original ones. Everyone within 4 cubes wanted him dead because of all the racket ;)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I never had a typewriter. We always had a computer. The first one I used was an Atari with the built in keyboard. Then it was the apple II. The first computer that was truly mine was a Commodore 64.

The only thing about some of the new keyboards is that on the cheap ones the keys kind rock if you don't hit them right in the middle. I work on computers in business environments so have learned to type on even the worst junk out there. It is funny that the user thinks it is normal.

Some of the high end keyboards have mechanical switches in them (e.g., Cherry MX series). Those are nearly as nice as my IBM keyboard, and the new mechanical keyboards are a bit quieter, too. I don't think I could stand to work all day on a mushy, cheapo keyboard. I'd have problems with my hands and wrists, for sure.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

My first one was an Atari game console that you had to plug in a module to access the basic language, then I moved to a Commodore vic 16 and then a TRS 80, I had several Commodore 64's along the way, before I actually got to play on an IBM PC, man talk about dating myself, back in the days you could go to Radio Shack and buy a kit computer and put it together at home!

The computers I work on now are terrible, older Dell systems with wired mouses and desktop clicky keyboards, I come home and work on my laptops and it is a dream compared to what I have at work!

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
I had a typewriter and then in 1982 when I was 12 my dad brought home an IBM PC and a wide carriage printer - which was pretty much un heard of to have in your house. Computers around our house and work are all Dell or MS Surface with type keyboards, hardly ever use the keyboard on my M4800 I've got Microsoft ergonomic keyboards on the docking stations.

dolluper

Captain
Don't like win 10 double files but that started with win7....bigger drivesa for nothing just a waste of time to fix ,backup ,or restore ...backwards tech always ...too fruggin much