O2 sensor gurus!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
For the money, you can't beat it. I have the enhanced Toyota software as well. I need that for my Lexus to properly bleed my brakes since the software controls the ABS unit. If you are a pro and running a shop, you may want something different.

For the MAF, the voltage is pretty constant for a given RPM so there isn't a whole lot of value in plotting it unless you take the car for a drive and set up the plot to have RPM vs MAF voltage. This software will store the plots so you can look at them later. So far, I have only used the plots to diagnose O2 sensors.

I actually think its not a bad idea just to replace the MAF every 120K or so. Probably also not a bad idea to clean them occasionally with MAF cleaner. The OEM MAF for my Silverado was $82 from Amazon with 2 day shipping. OEM MAF for my Lexus was $75 from Rockauto.

On my Lexus, I just recently took the whole top and front of my engine apart to do timing belt, valve cover seals, etc...I cleaned the Throttle Body very well with throttle body cleaner. I had a slight hesitation before I cleaned it and I got rid of it. My throttle body has small air holes just after the throttle plate that may have been clogged.

Last edited:

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I knew whatever it was that in hindsight I'd regret not just swapping out pieces, problem was which first:laugh: I could have gotten the MAF sensor cheaper elsewhere but I didn't want to get into an argument with them about paying for more labor that I didn't ask for. Going forward at least I know what to look for in a MAF, as I said, mine was clearly missing the resistor, which I'm sure is now happily floating around my engine somewhere.

Thanks for your time and all the info, one way or another it saved me a chunk of cash, and also for the info on the scanner, it's looking like a Christmas present for myself as I'm guessing it probably would have picked up the EGR vacuum leak too, saving me from having to puff down those cigars.