Apple upgrade help

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
iOS upgrade turned iPhone 5 into a paper weight. Apples "fix" does nothing. Froze on slide to upgrade screen. Any ideas??

southkogs

Staff member
Try a hard boot with it: hold power button down and the home button down at the same time until it restarts. From what I've heard you may have to try that a couple of times (as many as 3 from what I've read).

I put iOS 9 on my iPad 4 and it's worked fine. Seemed to free up some memory, but the iPad 4 can't take advantage of the coolest new features of iOS 9.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Apple says you are going to have to do the restore through iTunes. One of the reasons I try not to upgrade anything until the first patch comes out.

Hopefully you back up your phone. Always Always Always back up phone before doing a major upgrade no matter what phone you have.

Got burnt with my Nexus 5 getting the latest and greatest Android upgrades.

I have had to restore my Samsung S6 twice since I bought it so Apple isn't the only one.

Last edited:

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
I tried Apples fix numerous times with no success. It seems I can't get by the authorize itunes to access iphone step. This requires an input through the phone which cannot be executed because the phone is frozen up.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hit phone with hammer, get Android phone

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Funny, I have been thinking the opposite for the last couple years. Kinda tired of Android's instability at times.
They all suck lately. I miss my old BlackBerry

64osby

Admiral
I have an HTC 4G LTE which has been great for a few years.

Sprint is calling me telling me come November I will have to upgrade to have a phone that still works with there upgraded system. :mad-new:

First mobile phone was a bag phone that worked fantastic, could pull in a signal almost anywhere. Think I used that phone for 10 years.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Since giving up my Android phone several years ago, I have not once missed the instability, weird menu/setting schemes, etc. But there is a special ring of h*e*l*l for whomever designed Apple's tech support. The online tech support is awful, with confusing and contradictory 'wizards' to connect you to relevant info, and heaven forbid you want to talk to a real human. Apple support for their products is just awful.

I wish Palm was still making smartphones...