Comcast doing away with Personal Web Pages

tpenfield

Staff member
I think that I might be one of the few folks that use Comcast web page hosting on these forums instead of photobucket or similar.

Anyway, I got notice that Comcast is discontinuing their web hosting services as of October 8, 2015 . . . Much of my picture posting on my threads are from my Comcast site. :eek: More recently, I have been uploading pictures directly, but a lot of my old posts are going to go 'dark' in about 1 month's time :facepalm:

I am thinking of moving my web sites to Google, but also wondering if anyone here has other recommendations :noidea:

Also wondering what I should/could do about my threads with lots of pictures, since I cannot edit them to fix the pictures once Oct 8th arrives . . .

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can have a website hosted by something like godaddy for $60/year. Then you never have to worry about it. You could have your own domain name.

tpenfield.com is available!

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Ya, just get your own domain name, then you can do pretty much anything you want, my wife hosts a lot of website for people that are in the same "boat" as you.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I've always been able to use Comcast for web hosting but never did. I suspect that very few Comcast users do which is probably why they're dumping it...........

Godaddy was #10 out of 10...............Here's some other choices...... http://www.webhostingbest10.com/

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
You might ask them if there is a redirect they can put in once you get your new host setup.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I had my own website hosted with a no-name web hosting service when they all of a sudden decided they didn't want to stay in business anymore! :blue: Since my website is for a business, I decided to stick with a bigger company even though it costs me a little bit more per year.

Having your own domain name is key. That way you can switch hosting sites and move your data around and you don't have to worry about odd unused links.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The reason my wife started her company 19 years ago, was because of fly by night web companies, that would close its door in a heartbeat, she has now been here for 19 years continuously and hosts several hundreds of website for some pretty big companies as well as some smaller guys that just want to store pictures and such online.

tpenfield

Staff member
How about Wordpress.com? Any thoughts or opinions on having a blog/site there?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
How about Wordpress.com? Any thoughts or opinions on having a blog/site there?

Just depends on what your goal is, wordpress can be as simple as a small blogging site, or you can make as big of a website that you want with it.

tpenfield

Staff member
UPDATE:

After looking around at a few 'top 10 lists', etc. I signed up with eHost.com for my web sites and took out a domain name. It took a bit of rocket science, but somehow I got everything moved up there and working (I think).

Here are my 4 web sites in chronological order dating back to 1999 (ish):

Catalina 22 (Sailboat) http://www.tpenfield.com/Catalina22/

Formula 242SS http://www.tpenfield.com/Formula242/My_PowerBoat_Page.html

Formula 330SS http://www.tpenfield.com/Formula330/Home.html

O'Day Mariner (Sailboat) http://www.tpenfield.com/MarinerSailboat/Introduction.html

The only down side to the transition is that many of my past threads have picture links to the Comcast site, which will be going away. Not sure if/how I could fix that. Lately, I have been using the "upload and reference locally" feature for pictures that I use from the web sites.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If you can display them on the comcast website, then you can get them, right click on the images and then save as, set up a directory and start downloading, that will work if you don't have ftp privileges on that hosting system.

tpenfield

Staff member
I have the web sites and pics on my computer. It is just the old threads here on iBoats where the images will stop showing up after Oct 8th.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have the web sites and pics on my computer. It is just the old threads here on iBoats where the images will stop showing up after Oct 8th.

Unfortunately, in the fast moving world of the internet, that is pretty normal these days, which is why I always store my images on my own server, I know they are not going to disappear any time in the future, because they are tied to one of my domain names so if I have to set up a new server, they are still there.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, what I have been doing lately and will probably do going forward is to check the box to download and reference locally for the URL method of posting pics to threads. That way it becomes part of this site and not dependent on the picture remaining on the referenced site.

Now I got to update my signature . . . Which is something I always seem to spend a lot of time with when I update it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Awesome Ted.

nice tpenfield was available.

I wish my last name was available. I would only likely use it for email but would be nice to have in the future when I finally take my commercial website down.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

You could go back and edit all your iBoats links....... (that would be fun huh?)

tpenfield

Staff member
You could go back and edit all your iBoats links....... (that would be fun huh?)

Well, they have the edit feature active for only about 1 hour after you post, so I won't be able to change them . . . they used to have the edit feature enabled indefinitely. ( I know they have switched back and forth on that a bit). Anyway, not a big deal since folks can go to my web pages and see all of the pictures.

I have got my new web site(s) pretty well set on the new hosting platform. I made a 'landing' pages that has links to my 4 web sites for my 4 boats. It is a bit clunky updating the sites, but not too bad. I'll just have to plan bigger updates so that I do not have to go through the gyrations as often.