Heat Pump Confusion, anybody do heat/air systems?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well, come to find out after getting my Fathers heat pump system serviced yesterday, He also needs a new thermostat, So I trapes over to Home Depot and pick up a digital programmable that I can set up for him so he does not have to worry about it.

We wouldn't you know, old wiring to new wiring, don't quite match up! So was wondering, in this amazing crowd of people, do we have any heat/ac guys floating around? If we do, I will post the question, if not, then I will have to call someone again in the AM

Thanks.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I am a NATE certified heating and air service tech. What's your question?

Oh and I've been at it for 24 years now so I have a little experience.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Okay,

Thanks, here we go, on the old thermostat I have the follow terminals hooked up

W2 ---Brownish gold wire
E ---Black wire
G --Green
R --Red
X --Brown
O --Purple
W1/Y1--Yellow
W1/Y1 are jumpered together

New Thermostat has the following terminals

L
Aux/E
G
O/B
Not Used
Y
R
RC

R/RC are jumpered together

The heat pump is a 14 year old Coleman 2.5 ton Seer 12 system.
The old thermostat is a Honeywell LR95329
New thermostat is a Honeywell RTH6350D

Thanks again.

Dave

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Okay,

Thanks, here we go, on the old thermostat I have the follow terminals hooked up

W2 ---Brownish gold wire
E ---Black wire
G --Green
R --Red
X --Brown
O --Purple
W1/Y1--Yellow
W1/Y1 are jumpered together

New Thermostat has the following terminals

L
Aux/E
G
O/B
Not Used
Y
R
RC

R/RC are jumpered together

The heat pump is a 14 year old Coleman 2.5 ton Seer 12 system.
The old thermostat is a Honeywell LR95329
New thermostat is a Honeywell RTH6350D

Thanks again.

Dave

Maybe an insulting question but is the new thermostat for a heatpump? Heat packs and heat pumps use different thermostats....And hey! Don't get so buried that you don't have time to say Hi! :very_drunk:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Maybe an insulting question but is the new thermostat for a heatpump? Heat packs and heat pumps use different thermostats....And hey! Don't get so buried that you don't have time to say Hi! :very_drunk:

Yep Boom, I made sure this one is heat pump compatible, Just want to make sure I get it hooked up correctly, so I don't blow something up, it cost $500 to get it serviced the other day, so just double checking myself. I am here till Saturday, I will get some time so we can get together before I head back to home.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Sorry I'm just now responding. It's been a long day here.

Old stat___________ to ________________New stat
R-Red_______________________________ R ( 24 volt power May require a jumper to RC Check new stat's instructions. )
W1/Y1-Yellow ________________________Y ( Condenser signal )
G-Green _____________________________G ( Indoor fan signal )
O-Purple _____________________________O/B ( Reversing valve. Should be set to O for cooling per new stat's instructions. )
W2-Brownish Gold Wire_________________Aux/E ( Auxiliary/Emergency heat signal. )
E-Black Wire__________________________Aux/E ( Auxiliary/Emergency heat signal. )
X-Brown ( Not used on new stat.)
______________________________________L Do Not Use.

Wire W2 and E from old sat together and put in Aux/E terminal on new stat as the new stat uses one signal for Auxiliary heat and Emergency Heat. They are technically the same heat on most heat pumps.

*** One last thing make sure you cut off the power to the indoor unit/ air handler or turn off power to the whole system if it's a package unit. If you don't and you accidentally cross the red wire with a ground or common wire which is what I believe X is on the old stat you may blow the 24volt transformer on the unit which may require another service call.***

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Yep Boom, I made sure this one is heat pump compatible, Just want to make sure I get it hooked up correctly, so I don't blow something up, it cost $500 to get it serviced the other day, so just double checking myself. I am here till Saturday, I will get some time so we can get together before I head back to home.

The weekend is looking a bit crowded. Saturday looks pretty clear with a little notice. My visiting son will be off showing his east coast girlfriend a few PNW sights. LMK!

bigdee

Commander
Sorry I'm just now responding. It's been a long day here.

Old stat___________ to ________________New stat
R-Red_______________________________ R ( 24 volt power May require a jumper to RC Check new stat's instructions. )
W1/Y1-Yellow ________________________Y ( Condenser signal )
G-Green _____________________________G ( Indoor fan signal )
O-Purple _____________________________O/B ( Reversing valve. Should be set to O for cooling per new stat's instructions. )
W2-Brownish Gold Wire_________________Aux/E ( Auxiliary/Emergency heat signal. )
E-Black Wire__________________________Aux/E ( Auxiliary/Emergency heat signal. )
X-Brown ( Not used on new stat.)
______________________________________L Do Not Use.

Wire W2 and E from old sat together and put in Aux/E terminal on new stat as the new stat uses one signal for Auxiliary heat and Emergency Heat. They are technically the same heat on most heat pumps.

*** One last thing make sure you cut off the power to the indoor unit/ air handler or turn off power to the whole system if it's a package unit. If you don't and you accidentally cross the red wire with a ground or common wire which is what I believe X is on the old stat you may blow the 24volt transformer on the unit which may require another service call.***

^^^X2^^^