Computer freeze ups?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
If it is not one thing, it is another. I have an XP PC. When I have multiple internet pages open then try to open another, that new page will sometimes lock up with a 'not responding' note on the header bar. When that happens, it will render all pages 'not responding' . I then have to open task manager and try to 'end task'. I will have to highlight, then hit 'end task' up to 20 times before all the windows will finally close. All the while Task Manager is showing 100% CPU usage.
I have consistently run SuperAntiSpyware and will usually find from zero to 5 tracking cookies so I don't think that is an issue.

What could be happening and what might I do about it. It is a real PITA to have to go back and find all the pages I had open.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Scripts cause a lot of hang ups like that.

If you are using Firefox, Click History right after restarting FF and click on Restore Previous Session to reopen all pages and tabs just like it was. But you have to use Task Manager to force FF to end or reboot for the restore to work properly.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Scripts cause a lot of hang ups like that.

If you are using Firefox, Click History right after restarting FF and click on Restore Previous Session to reopen all pages and tabs just like it was. But you have to use Task Manager to force FF to end or reboot for the restore to work properly.

Don't know what scripts are all about but yes, I am using FireFox.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't know for sure what scripts are either, but didn't that sound techy. :smile:

When I use Task Manager to kill a program and it doesn't stop, I look at the Processes tab and there is a process running that is stopping the program, don't remember the name, but the name is obvious. I stop that process and usually the program dies quickly.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I don't know for sure what scripts are either, but didn't that sound techy. :smile:....

Indeed it did!

I'll try identifying the 'process' next time it happens. It only freezes in one out of 10-15 outings.

Last edited:

bassman284

Commander
I finally gave up on my XP computer back in March just because of things like that. "He's dead, Jim". Have you noticed yet that every update that Microsoft sends out for XP slows your computer down more than it was the previous month? I'm surprised yours is still running at all.

oldjeep

Admiral
Have you tried something other than Firefox? That browser has been getting worse and worse, although on an XP computer that may not be your only issue.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Have you tried something other than Firefox? That browser has been getting worse and worse, although on an XP computer that may not be your only issue.

No I haven't. I can still use my IE Explorer but a local computer shop said they were even seeing some of that on Chrome. They thought it might have to do with Addons.

Fed

Commander
A couple of days ago I switched to Chrome because of Firefox problems, couldn't be happier.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
A couple of days ago I switched to Chrome because of Firefox problems, couldn't be happier.

As of late, FF has had so many updates as to be aggravating! Google put Yahoo Maps out of business, maybe they will do the same thing to FF.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
As FF is the derivative of the Original Web Browser, I seriously doubt anybody will put them out of business. FF is nothing more than a modern version of what was once the most popular open source web browser in the world Netscape Navigator. People have been trying to put Mozilla out of business forever, not going to happen, every distro of Linux comes with FF and despite the fact that IE has been popular, FF is going to continue to be out there for a long time to come.

As far as browsers working, the older the computers get, the less that any of the browsers are going to work on them and right now, unless you are paying MS for support for your XP machine, it is a dead OS and less programs are going to work on it. Time marches on.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Further examination shows that the root of my problem is 'plugin-container.exe" It is recently used by all the browsers and is problematic. There are many Youtubes on how to disable it but the images are so small you cannot follow exactly what they are doing.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I finally found a quick and easy way to disable 'plugin-container.exe'. I have had no more internet page freeze ups since doing so.