Polyethylene gas tank repair

robert graham

Admiral
My 8 gallon polyethylene gas tank on my rail buggy has a small leak around the metal outlet fitting....as most folks probably know, polyethylene doesn't generally take well to glues, cements and similar repairs.....I was considering to try and weld/melt it with a torch, but it IS a gas tank, so I chickened out on that idea. Do any of you wizards know of any simple backyardigan repairs that I might try....Temporarily I have gobbed some good old JB Weld around it and it looks O.K., but I'm doubtful it's a permanent fix....any ideas?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Unless you can create some type mechanical fix for it, it looks like it is new tank time. The fact that polyethylene is so chemical resistant is the reason they can make fuel tanks from such material. And therefore nothing glues it back other then plastic welding. And you would have to remove the tank, drain it, and then hope it sealed properly after the plastic weld... :sorry:

robert graham

Admiral
Unless you can create some type mechanical fix for it, it looks like it is new tank time. The fact that polyethylene is so chemical resistant is the reason they can make fuel tanks from such material. And therefore nothing glues it back other then plastic welding. And you would have to remove the tank, drain it, and then hope it sealed properly after the plastic weld... :sorry:

Yep, that's what I thought....a new tank is only about $100, so that's most probably what I'll do....I called the guy that sells these tanks and he said they're made in Taiwan and they are known to leak. I'd get the aluminum tank but they cost twice as much and I can glance back at my tank and see how much gas is left in it....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Can you use a thru bulkhead fitting to replace the exist insert?

Petty Officer 1st Class
I once fixed one by cutting off some plastic from a spot not needed and melted it into the hole and 10yrs ltr it still works great. U must use the same plastic or it wont stick once its cooled

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I once fixed one by cutting off some plastic from a spot not needed and melted it into the hole and 10yrs ltr it still works great. U must use the same plastic or it wont stick once its cooled

888, that is really the only way to weld such plastic back together. There is basically no glue or method to fix any problems with polyethylene plastics these days. And that IS what makes such plastics so unique. There are not effected by most anything. If you can concentrate the heat directly at the area and fill it in with the same type plastic, then you can weld the cracks back like new again... But that is about it for repairs...

Oh, 888, congratulations on your smoke free life now... :thumb:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Those are the same type of tanks that are used on the 4000 watt range generators, I have a few of them around here that I have used for various projects.

robert graham

Admiral
Update: I installed my new tank($100 plus $77 shipping from California!)....keeping the old polyethylene tank for raw materials/future welding attempt, if necessary...