Inverter size?

Volphin

Lieutenant
I'm setting up a mobile power box for my wife's marching band. My plan was to use an inverter to run a sound system for solos and such in the pit. The amp we have is a Peavey Model XR600F which is rated at 360w using 120v @ 60 Hz. I would like to run a pure sine wave inverter off of a deep cycle battery or batteries to power this unit. Max show run time is 10 minutes during halftime.

My question is, how big of a pure sine wave inverter do I need and how many batteries should I use? Is there a need for more than one battery?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well the math predicts the size. That being you need a 400watt invertor to run that setup. And that will require at least 400 watts from the batteries or roughly 30 to 40 amps. The fact that you say it only runs for around 10 minutes means most any deep cycle battery should be able to supply that for such a short time period. And the fact that you are powering an amp and not some electric motor, you don't really need to worry about such a pure sign wave invertor. Your amp is rectifying and filtering the power it needs for the circuits, so there is not so much concern for it... JMHO!

gm280

Supreme Mariner