Opinions needed.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have been working on my 1 ton Ford 4x4 and getting ready to put the wheels back on, now I live in an area that corrosion is a big deal, I am wondering about putting a dab of anti seize on the lug nuts this time, because after sitting for a year, they are real bi**ch to get off, so bad that my 1000lb impact won't break them, I have to use my breaker bar with a 5 foot cheater bar on it to actually get them to break free, so I am soliciting opinions from others, would a little dab of anti seize actually cause a problem?

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I wouldn't I would just Crack em and retorque em every month I do that in the winter cuz of all the salt I also remove my magnesium rims once a month so their not sized on the hub I also grease my cable for my spare every fall

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Actually MTBoatguy, I always use grease and/or oil on all my wheel studs. And there is nothing wrong with doing that. It keeps corrosion at bay and actually gives a better torque as well. Dry torqueing any bolt is iffy at best. In a lot of engine building books, that absolutely tell you to apply oil before torqueing any bolt because then you are actually torqueing the correct numbers and not dry friction torques. So go ahead and use oil or grease. It really is the better way to do it... JMHO!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
it will do just fine with a ever now and then test to see if they loosen up and its not likely they will, i used to to it myself

bassman284

Commander
Oiling or greasing threads will cause you to over-torque the nuts. Not a good plan if you are going for accurate torque.

Just to add, if your lug nuts are that difficult to get off they were probably over-torqued in the first place, probably with and impact wrench set on stun.

Last edited:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Another one of those everyone has an opinion subjects.
I always thought a clean lubricated joint would give a more accurate torque reading. Dry, possibly rusty threads would interfere with an accurate reading.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Torque specs are for dry and clean. There are specs for greased which is quite a bit less.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
MT, you are good to use a marine based water resistant anti-seize with no issues. The Lug nuts use the taper of the nut and the wheel to "Lock". The only issue would be your Torque specs. You would torque using the wet spec instead of the dry spec. For Lug nuts, i personally would not change the torque spec, just torque to normal and be done.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use a mix of anti-seize with 90 at gear oil. I also reduce the torque by 10%

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
So, the answer to this depends. Some bolted joints are supposed to be wet and others not. When applying torque, the threads actually stretch, how much is acceptable depends on the material being used. Some applications require more stretch and here some sort of lubricant is required. After working in a high tech assembly area, I would not apply anything to a bolted joint unless it was called for. If corrosion is your issue of getting the lug nuts removed, you may want to replace the studs and nuts with new ones.

Volphin

Lieutenant
I like using anti-seize on stubborn lug nuts. Just a little dab, not a lot. It's a must on older Mercedes lugs, BMW & Volvo spark plugs too.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Anti-seize paste or grease is made up of microscopic bits of metal such as aluminum and copper, among other things. Any time you mix dissimilar metals with an electrolyte you run the risk of inducing galvanic corrosion which could be worst than using nothing at all.

Solution.....torque as usual, spray with Boeshield T-9. Don't look back.

Last edited: