windows 10

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
If the web browser is the extent of your computing then windows/mac/Linux is a silly discussion because you don't really need a computer.
While I might call that an over simplification. Just about all the people I know (that are not IT professionals) pretty much fit that description..........Many of them think the browser IS the operating system!!

thumpar

Admiral
I had a Macbook before this HP business laptop. I went through 5 power adapters, 2 batteries (they expanded and in the end I ran it without a battery), 2 screens and 4-5 hard drives. They might have some fancy features but I would not call them more reliable. The company I work for used to do Apple warranty work. They pay crappy and are hard to deal with.

southkogs

Staff member
... I went through 5 power adapters, 2 batteries (they expanded and in the end I ran it without a battery), 2 screens and 4-5 hard drives. They might have some fancy features but I would not call them more reliable ...
Before the unibody Macs the pros did have some pretty substantial battery problems. My oldest Macbook Pro (2006, I think) used to get CRAZY hot when I would render with it. That said ... the Admiral is still using it. I've only replaced the battery and the power adapter :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I know a LOT of people at work that have MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs. I have a MacBook Air. I don't know of a single one that has had an issue.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I know a LOT of people at work that have MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs. I have a MacBook Air. I don't know of a single one that has had an issue.

You are lucky, I have worked on a lot of them over the years, including the ones we owned!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Our company has 10 times the issues with other brands. Not even close!
The company I work for was ALL Mac. We went to Windows in the 90's

(of course I thought we should have went to REDHAT Enterprise Linux, but I have "issues"!!!)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Well, after a day and a half of using Windows 10 at work, I can't say I'm really all that impressed. I've spent much of my time getting peripherals to work, installing software, etc. As with most Microsoft OS upgrades, much of the upgrade seems to involve changing the appearance of the screens and shuffling around the same old features. Although maybe less than in Win8, there still is a predilection for making my computer screen look like a tablet (tiled icons, "clean" minimalistic screens).

I suppose in time I'll be as productive with Win10 as I am with 7, but I'm not really seeing any great advantage to using 10. I imagine my home machines will run Win7 for the foreseeable future.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Our company has 10 times the issues with other brands. Not even close!

When I worked in the Pentagon, we had close to 50 thousand computers, so there was always something going wrong with computers

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The company I work for was ALL Mac. We went to Windows in the 90's

(of course I thought we should have went to REDHAT Enterprise Linux, but I have "issues"!!!)

I don't think you have issues, it is just Linux is not all that easy for some people to get comfortable with.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
When I worked in the Pentagon, we had close to 50 thousand computers, so there was always something going wrong with computers
I don't disagree with you at all, especially when military people are working with them!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Linux is not all that easy for some people to get comfortable with.
That might have been more true in the late 90's and early 2000's. I would say that the most popular distro's now have little or no problems with hardware and don't really require much getting used to.......But since most people are used to going to the "store" and buying a "Box", they get what's on the shelves.

Linux isn't on the shelves, and if MS has anything to do with it, (and they do)....... It never will be.

I don't think you have issues

You haven't talked to my wife!!

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I did find a useful feature, if you right click instead of a left on the start icon it brings up a decent hidden menu