windows 10

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
For all of you switching to 10, make sure you carefully read the EULA. Focus closely on the security and privacy settings. 10 will be an AD-pushing monster that cannot be stopped.

Instead of ads in your browser, there'll be directed ads pushed as "MS Important Software Updates" that will "pop-up" from either your task bar or directly on the desktop. One of the "features" of 10 (the free one) is that you cannot opt out of "updates"

Once they get everybody completely completely hooked on 10 and/or it's follow-on, and thoroughly irritated because they cannot stop the updates, MS will roll out the paid "no-ad" subscription of windows. (be sure to save your old copy of 7 or 8 so you can go back!)

The MS Board of directors are not stupid. They're not giving something away for free to be nice.......

Rolling eyes

Watch out for those black helicopters guys!

:facepalm:

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I spent 30 years in the Military, many of them in computer security, I am just tired of the conspiracy theories, it gets so old.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I spent 30 years in the Military, many of them in computer security, I am just tired of the conspiracy theories, it gets so old.

Yeah. I don't buy them either I suppose........... But I don't think Forbes is wrong on this one..........It would be pretty stupid for MS to give their cash-cow operating system away for nothing.

It's just that they have decided to change from a upfront 1 price operating system to a subscription type product (like Office 365) .

It should actually make them more money in the long run because they'll tie customers to the operating system a little tighter.... I look for them to also offer the ability to transfer to a "new" computer or add additional ones etc........

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am sorry, but after my years of reading stories in Forbes about war and such, they are not real high on my list of credible news sources, in fact, none of the media is these days.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I think it's only a matter of time before Windows becomes a subscription service. Or obsolete.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't believe Windows will ever be obsolete, I do believe they will change their revenue model to match the changing times, just as other companies have, but with their market share, they are pretty free to do what ever they want to, for the most part, the world runs on Windows.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
for the most part, the world runs on Windows.
Desktop yes.....server, still a "lead" but MS doesn't fully "own" the server market worldwide...........

But you're right......they will change. Most likely to a subscription service like most of their other software.

It's quite probable that there will be a "free" Windows (like we're seeing) that will work like some of the "free" iOS and Android "apps" that have commercial banners that you can remove for a (nominal) fee..............

But you're absolutely right. Windows will not be going away in our lifetime!!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
We are not talking about server world, we are talking about personal computers that sit on a desk that virtually every single company in the world uses, heck, I don't even run windows on my web server, I run UNIX with Apache.

I am going to work for a company in 2 weeks, that has over 1000 computers on the desks of its employees and every single one of them runs windows

oldjeep

Admiral
We are not talking about server world, we are talking about personal computers that sit on a desk that virtually every single company in the world uses, heck, I don't even run windows on my web server, I run UNIX with Apache.

I am going to work for a company in 2 weeks, that has over 1000 computers on the desks of its employees and every single one of them runs windows

Which is the norm in the large companies I've worked with. You don't run into much more than small departmental pockets of Apple stuff and never see any form of Unix on a desktop.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
At my company(High Tech Company) we have 1700 employees. Almost all desktops are windows. Laptops are a 70/30 split between Windows and MAC. Almost all Windows versions are Windows 7. MAC laptops are slowly gaining because the hardware is more reliable. My laptop is a Mac which I also run Windows 7 on when i need to.

Our test chassis that we sell have PCs embedded in them. They are currently all Windows 7. We are in the process of switching them all to Linux because we can save money on Windows licenses.

All of our FPGA build and simulation servers are on Linux.

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
All I get is " unable to run win 10 as your display manufacture has not made your graphics card compatiable with win 10.Nvidia GeForce nforce 430.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
All I get is " unable to run win 10 as your display manufacture has not made your graphics card compatiable with win 10.Nvidia GeForce nforce 430.

Sounds pretty normal, I had this problem on one of my computers when windows 7 came out and they never did make a driver for it. Which is why it still runs 64 bit windows XP Pro.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Ya, rude, turn your world upside down and try Linux

:facepalm:!

Now come on, it ain't that "Bad"......... The vast majority here use their computers for surfing, online discussion forums, email, Facebook, Twitter, online banking etc..... etc.
(I have been doing it with Linux since 1999 or so..........)

For that just any flavor of Linux would work just fine.............

But, to be fully "up-front", the only thing I cannot do with Linux is TurboTax (Software).......... I actually have a laptop that has Win-7 on it. (I haven't tried it but the online version might work......they say it doesn't. Doesn't matter, I prefer the software)

But just about everything "Online" just works................ I may seem a little upside-down, but it all just works..........

southkogs

Staff member
... My laptop is a Mac which I also run Windows 7 on when i need to ...
I knew there was a reason I liked you :cool: I'm runnin' the same thing. I do a TON of 3D rendering and the MacBook Pro has been really good for that kinda' work. WIN 7 works fine via Boot Camp, and runs really well with all resources I have for the MacBook (graphics card, RAM, etc.).

The Linux stuff has always intrigued me, but Mac OSX has been sufficient for what I need.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I knew there was a reason I liked you :cool: I'm runnin' the same thing. I do a TON of 3D rendering and the MacBook Pro has been really good for that kinda' work. WIN 7 works fine via Boot Camp, and runs really well with all resources I have for the MacBook (graphics card, RAM, etc.).

The Linux stuff has always intrigued me, but Mac OSX has been sufficient for what I need.

I bought my daughter a Macbook Pro. She LOVES it!

oldjeep

Admiral
Now come on, it ain't that "Bad"......... The vast majority here use their computers for surfing, online discussion forums, email, Facebook, Twitter, online banking etc..... etc.
(I have been doing it with Linux since 1999 or so..........)

For that just any flavor of Linux would work just fine.............

But, to be fully "up-front", the only thing I cannot do with Linux is TurboTax (Software).......... I actually have a laptop that has Win-7 on it. (I haven't tried it but the online version might work......they say it doesn't. Doesn't matter, I prefer the software)

But just about everything "Online" just works................ I may seem a little upside-down, but it all just works..........

If you are only doing that then might as well just get a chromebook or a smart TV. If the web browser is the extent of your computing then windows/mac/Linux is a silly discussion because you don't really need a computer.