Thinning Contact Cement?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I have a partial can of Dap Weldwood Contact Cement that has significantly thickened up. It is still clear and consistent but like thick honey. The can says nothing about thinning, only clean up with paint thinner.

I asked at a local paint store about a solvent to thin with. They really did not know but speculated that because they used paint thinner to clean, that you could use it to thin. I am skeptical about that.

Any experience out there?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
The monetary cost of a "partial can" of contact cement is not worth the blood pressure toll from the aggravation when you use it and it fails.

BTDT ~ GTT-S-! :(

You could also call DAP/ Weldwood and see what they advise.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
DAP has no information on the web for thinning their products and after reading through several different types of websites from guns to boats nobody has been really successful on thinning it down, even when new. Seems like it would just be best to throw away, and pick up a new can when you need it. I rarely buy more than a tube of contact cement these days, the last time I bought anything better I was doing counter tops and I bought water based for that job.

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
A tube of 3M Yellow Weatherstrip Adhesive is about $10 at Autozone.....best to just pitch your old can and buy some new

gm280

Supreme Mariner
DAP Contact cement really isn't that costly. Why risk a project for a few dollars? If the project was worth doing, buy some more and do it right. JMHO!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
DAP has no information on the web for thinning their products ....

I usually check the web first, but when there is not enough info, often end up calling and speaking with "liveware" to see if they'll offer advice or an opinion.
Usually gives you an idea whether it might be worth a try or almost a sure path to frustration. They'll know whether lots have tried and failed....

In DAP's case. they used to have an 800 number. I had a problem with some glazing compound and they were able to solve it quickly and easily.
Might be worth asking here.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I weary of buying various compounds for specific jobs and then the next time you go to use them they have dried out. So you toss $10 or $15 bucks into the trash. None of this stuff is cheap anymore.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't know what to tell you Boom, other than welcome to the club, this is the world we live in today.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Boom, it's the same w/ PVC cement. You go buy a small can to do a small job and the a yr or less later it's dried up too much to chance using it.
Mike

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Toss it. If I have a project that ends up wit half a can left, I will keep it on the shelf in case something comes up in the next month or two which of course never happens.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Boom, it's the same w/ PVC cement. You go buy a small can to do a small job and the a yr or less later it's dried up too much to chance using it.
Mike

Oh how well I know. I use it in my work semi regularly and it often still thickens up or starts to glob up before I can finish even a small can.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
...... which of course never happens........

Often the case, for sure. About every time I have a project I end up having to buy an overly expensive can or tube of something that I invariably only use a small portion of. I have found that keeping them in the refridgerator extends their life somewhat but even at that, the next time I try to use it, I end up having to toss it.

robert graham

Admiral
Contact cements would stay fresh after opening longer in tubes than in cans where there's an air space in the partially used can

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh how well I know. I use it in my work semi regularly and it often still thickens up or starts to glob up before I can finish even a small can.

Oh don't get me started with PVC glues... :eek: One thing I started doing and it seems to help just a little, is when I am finished with the PVC glue, I turn it upside down to store it for future usage. That way IF the glue gets a crust on it, it is at the bottom. I do that with some paints as well. And notice how the stores now carry only the middle size PVC glues and not the little ones they use to carry... Marketing at its best! :sorrow:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
The word from DAP (I called them this morning) is to use Acetone to thing the contact cement.