Sand blast cabinet questions

Stickler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently received a sandblast cabinet,the one from princess auto that stands on four legs, door on side, my buddies uncle gave it to me as he rarely uses it.
So now I have it, but need some info on what I will need to get the best use out of it, it's been modified with new light and sealed seams, but need to know what size compressor I'll need for my garage, one that won't cycle constantly and kill my ears, also what media for blasting can I use on aluminum parts(old outboards), and I was told I should upgrade the gun to something better, but what's better, the one that came with it is a trigger gun style with ceramic tips, is there a specific type for what I need? Any advice/suggestions is appreciated.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You are going to need a compressor, with lots of air capacity, I use mine rarely anymore because it requires so much air, I run an 80 gallon 5 hp and even it cycles all the time if I blast for more than a minute or so, you will want to get a regulator and adjust your pressure down to the lowest acceptable pressures that work with the tips you have on your gun. I still have the original gun on mine and tips and have used them with no problem. I have shot walnut shell, silicon sand, aluminum oxide, micro beads, just about anything that is listed as blasting media will work in it. But again, be prepared to get a good sized commercial heavy duty cycle compressor, if you are going to be doing a lot of blasting, it will pay in the long run.

Stickler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of a 2 stage 80 gallon compressor, space is an issue as my garage is only 22x22, but free of clutter, I don't use it as a giant storage bin, it also has 220v power outlet.
As far as media, what would achieve the best finish on aluminum without pitting, but also not taking forever to say clean up a outboard cowl etc.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
The compressor running while you are sand blasting is not an issue so much as it running out of air. There should be a sticker on the cabinet stating the air consumption at a given PSI. Something like 10.7 SCFM @ 90 PSI, you will want a compressor rated above that, the higher above the usage you go the less the compressor will cycle.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would probably start out with walnut shell media, pretty effective stuff and won't damage the surface of aluminum.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you are looking for a media that will remove paint fast, try "Black Diamond" from Tractor Supply. I used about everything through my little sand blaster setup and black diamond is simply the best and fastest. Another thing I noticed about the black diamond is it doesn't clump. Sand will certainly clump when it gets moisture in it and unless you have a great water trap filter, you will get moisture in the media and that will clog up the gun. But black diamond doesn't clog even a little. JMHO!

Stickler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good to know,what is black diamond media made from?