Floor Jack information or questions

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
After spending the last 45 minutes trying to jack up my 1 Ton F350 4x4 Ford with the 460 in it, I have come to the conclusion I need a bigger jack, I am thinking about a long handled rapid pump, have been reading up on Jacks and some the HF jacks get good reviews, have any of you guys used the HF jacks? If so, thoughts?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MT, I was told one time by a guy that was suppose to know things, that unless the HF has an approved Under Writers Lab seal on it, don't buy it. And that was because some of those import products look good but there is ZERO testing to verify they can handle what they advertise... I mean they are made in China and well..... IDK :noidea:

MRS

Commander
Have good luck with the HF 3ton floor jacks I like them better than the rapid pump cause they will lift higher. I have two of the 3ton floor jacks have taken boat off trailer with them and getting ready to change trailer axle with them now..

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Have good luck with the HF 3ton floor jacks I like them better than the rapid pump cause they will lift higher. I have two of the 3ton floor jacks have taken boat off trailer with them and getting ready to change trailer axle with them now..

Unfortunately 3 ton is not enough for me to feel comfortable, with the way I have this truck configured, it is just a tad over 7,000 pounds, my plow truck is 11,000 pounds, I would like to get a jack, I don't have to work so hard to move it up so I can get it on stands, hell the tires I have on this truck weigh about 125 pounds each!

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Matco - "the Beast", 3.5T, ANSI certified. (Having managed 3 UL certifications, UL certification of industrial equipment is a joke) cast iron lift cylinder. Picked up at a yard sale for $40. A couple of new o-rings and a bottle of jack fluid and all is good. 3" of leak down in 24 hours. Can't complain

Last edited:

Propwash79

Cadet
If you can hold off for a few more months you can catch. Good deals on Black Friday, also I don't think you would be lifting the full 11,000 lbs off the ground.i would look for a good 4-5 ton Jack and some stout Jack stands,the Jack is ment to lift the load and not support it. I know we all (and me to) have jacked up a truck changed a tire or did brake work with no Jack stand. Harbor freight has some good stuff but the quality of the jacks is something I dont want to chance on my life and or my ride!!!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am lifting the whole front end off the ground, I have to do the ball joints on both sides, I have good jack stands, they are rated at 15K, so no problem there, he jack is rated at 5 tons, so it will pick it up, but not easy with the short handle set up it has and the short throw it has, which is why I want a long handle rapid jack, two or three pumps and I want it off the ground.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
MT,

I purchased a HF 3 Ton Floor Jack from 3 years ago. Big Floor Jack because I needed one that would lift my F-150. I have used it many times, and never had an issue with it. It isnt one of the Rapid Pump, but it works fine. I just bought one for my son so he would leave mine at home.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I have a regular floor jack for cars and a bottle jack for tall and heavy stuff. I prefer the bottle jack to any bigger flook jack.

Don't forget to make sure your jack stands are adequate height and weight wise too.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I personally will never get under any vehicle without jack stands...ever. And that goes for changing a tire as well. however, I also leave the jack installed as well. JMHO!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The jack is only for raising the vehicle, then the jack stands go under it. I have seen to many vehicles fall off jacks over the years to even consider not putting jack stands under them.

Last edited:

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, just making sure to give my plug for jack stands. I figured you already practiced this, but still had to say it.