Utility trailer siding?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I have a 4' x 7' ft utility trailer. I had it built back in '95 to be able to accommodate full 4' x 8' sheets. It is basically a metal framework that I installed 3/4" painted plywood for siding, front, sides and tailgate. The painted wood is now rotting down around the floor and the metal parts are in dire need of paint. I am looking to re-side the trailer and want to use a material that will not rot. The trailer sits outside in the wet PNW. Any ideas what I should use? There is just no way to adequately treat plywood to withstand the rigors of the environment.

rogerwa

Commander
I built my sides with cedar deck boards mounted to 1x4 cedar boards that act as the stakes that go in the pockets of the trailer. It is over 10 years old and while gray in color still very intact. For the most part mine sits outside all the time. Summer or winter..

bigdee

Commander
I built my sides with cedar deck boards mounted to 1x4 cedar boards that act as the stakes that go in the pockets of the trailer. It is over 10 years old and while gray in color still very intact. For the most part mine sits outside all the time. Summer or winter..

^^^x2^^^ I use treated pine 1x4's for the sides and treated 2x4's for the stakes in the trailers that I have built.....looks good too.

rogerwa

Commander
You could even use some of the composite decking as that would last a long time.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
If your good at welding aluminum get diamond plating you could also bolt it on

Have you priced that stuff lately? I recently bought some 1/4" thick aluminum diamond plate. It was about a 4 x 4' piece and it was over $200 and it was a 'second' at that.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I was thinking about some of the stuff they make road sign boards out of. It is some kind of composite but I do not know what you call it.