Can't subscribe to a specific forum

Oshawapilot

Seaman
Thought I'd subscribe to the trailers forum today as I'm a knowledgeable (20+ year) commercial driver and I'm always interested in helping out with trailering issues and questions..but I hit the subscribe button and got an error message saying I wasn't authorized. Feature, permissions error, or bug?

Oshawapilot

Seaman
Already done, no joy..same result:

"Error: Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page."

jbcurt00

Staff member
I think the problem is w the forum software, formerly you could subscribe to a forum entirely, not just specific topics.

I am certainly signed in, and got the same error messages trying to use the subscribe button for 3 random forums from my computer and from my cell.

I have notified the admin team, but I suspect the button isnt supposed to be viewable and active at the forum level, only at the topic level.

toneeees

Administrator
I can't reproduce the error, what forum are you trying to subscribe to? What button are you clicking?

Oshawapilot

Seaman
Trailers forum root, top right corner "+ Subscribe" button. I can screenshot the error if you'd like. Your admin privies are probably why it sounds like it works for you but not lower level members....even mods apparently.

Oshawapilot

Seaman
FWIW, I just clicked on the same button in this topic itself and it works..but it's at the forum root level that it errors out. Presumably that's the "subscribe to the entire forum and receive updates of new threads" option that I use on vb elsewhere and like.

jbcurt00

Staff member
That was the case before the vB5 changes

I dont know about now, but for a very long time, iboats was the only forum using vB5. Perhaps thise other forums are running previous versions. Many were (are) still running 2 or 3 generation old bersio s of vB.

Since I subscribed to the whole Merc and Johnson outboard forums 3yrs ago, I guess I still am, but I've elected to stop getting email notices of posts to them.

I'm on so often enough now, dont need to get them. But yes, it was a previously possible.

I tried to subscribe to the trailer forum and 2 others w out success yesterday before my post.

toneeees

Administrator
It should still be possible. It sounds like it might be a permissions issue for members and moderators. I'll do some investigating