What would cause me to not have my log-in option vs a join option ?using Internet Ex?

wickware

Lieutenant
What would cause me to not have my log-in option vs a join option ?using Internet Explorer? (where My Favorites are listed)? I am a member when I attempt to join. I have asked this question at Contact Us with no reply. Has anyone else experienced this and what was the Fix? I can see all the Post but can not reply to any in IE. BUT! I can use Chrome and search Iboat and I am logged-in after selecting the correct forum (the long way).

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are you saying you don't have the Log In/Sign up box on the top of the page? Did you save the iboats forum password in IE? And are you checking Remember Me in IE when you do log on? It sounds like you did check Remember me in Chrome.

What version of IE are you using? I'm not familiar with a join option.

wickware

Lieutenant
There is a sign-up only vs the past log-in. I am using IE 8 with XP Pro ?which is not supported now? and could be the problem. I felt it could be a glitch vs using IE 8 with XP Pro, since all post are showing just no log-in. This Technology changed my Job in1990 before retiring me in 03 and has kept me spending since 1990. It has been a challenge to stay up dated without spending if you want to continue using the technology.

I enjoyed learning and sharing about my 1970 35 HP Chrysler since my 1984 purchase. Presently Retired but ran great and hope to get the Energy to run it again. We have better filled Lakes in North Tx this season but my body is not over the low water work last season or before w/o driving longer distances.

I hate to feel I?m ?Hooked? and Must Keep Speeding without Senior?s Rates. LOL!

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
try downloading Google "Chrome" - it works well for me. It's a browser just like IE is.

GA_Boater

try downloading Google "Chrome" - it works well for me. It's a browser just like IE is.

Wick already has Chrome.

It's possible that Virtual Bulletin isn't supporting XP versions of IE like they used to, I don't know, it was still working fine for me when I last booted up XP. Firefox works well in XP.

wickware

Lieutenant
Thanks To All, Is this a glitch or is ?XP and or IE 8? not being supported by IBoat/Etc? Are they working for you vs upgrades? I might just need some maintenance as deleting cookies, C:, Properties, Tools and checking the volume for errors (Old Ckdisk) again, which I recently ran. Chrome does work (with more power IMO) with a few more steps vs My Favorites.

I can see the posts in IE 8 but must switch to Chrome to have a sign-in to reply. Strange!! What is Redirect using IE 8 indicating I direct to?

foodfisher

Captain
Exact same thing in my case. Maybe location has something to do with it. I'm in San Diego area.

GA_Boater

Exact same thing in my case. Maybe location has something to do with it. I'm in San Diego area.

Nah, I checked XP/IE8 and have the same - No log in button. The other browsers I use in XP are fine. It's an XP or IE8 issue. I know that less and less sites allow IE8 access.

Admin has been notified.

toneeees

Administrator
Try disabling the compatibility mode. Let me know if that works. I only have Windows 7 and 8

GA_Boater

Try disabling the compatibility mode. Let me know if that works. I only have Windows 7 and 8

At your suggestion, I tried with compatibility mode on and off. No help. It seems with no support for XP from Microsoft, the older versions of IE are not supported either.

Wick - I think you should either upgrade XP or simply use Chrome or Firefox instead of IE8. You can export your favorites/bookmarks from IE and import to Chrome and/or Firefox. If you continue to use IE as your primary browser, you will find more and more sites don't operate properly or not work at all. In lieu of upgrading your OS, any third party browser works for now, at least until they drop XP support as well.

toneeees

Administrator
At your suggestion, I tried with compatibility mode on and off. No help. It seems with no support for XP from Microsoft, the older versions of IE are not supported either.

Wick - I think you should either upgrade XP or simply use Chrome or Firefox instead of IE8. You can export your favorites/bookmarks from IE and import to Chrome and/or Firefox. If you continue to use IE as your primary browser, you will find more and more sites don't operate properly or not work at all. In lieu of upgrading your OS, any third party browser works for now, at least until they drop XP support as well.

I don't believe the issue is with the Operating system, but more the browser. Try using a different browser, when I have some time to do some testing. I will see why the button does not show in IE8.

foodfisher

Captain
Just for clarification, I'm using win 7. Edit- with IE 8.0.7601.18806 if that helps. Chrome is fine albeit without sound.

Last edited:

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
As a web developer, I can all but assure you that the problem is your very old version of IE8. Internet Explorer didn't really start supporting modern web technologies until version 9. Version 8 is terrible, and MANY websites won't support it at all. If you go to www.whatsmyip.org in IE8, it redirects you to an "obsolete" mini-site version of the site. Most other sites will simply fail to work without the friendly redirect. The only real solution here is to switch to Firefox or Chrome, whichever one is still being actively supported in XP (not sure if both, just one, or neither? - I'm a Mac guy). Just import those bookmarks over and you'll be good. Internet Explorer is broken.