Frustrating Performance.

Tnstratofam

Commander
:attention:I would like to first say that I know the iboats team has been working hard to get the forums back up to a useable speed with fewer issues. I am sure that there are plenty of people out there busting there rears trying to fix all the glitches as they pop up. That being said it's been quite a while since the upgrades and the forums are still spotty at best for some of us. Yesterday and this morning were very bad for me no matter if I was using my tablet with chrome, my laptop with firefox, or my work computer this morning with either, it was almost impossible for me to get anything posted last night, and this morning I couldn't get logged in. After multiple tries I finally get logged in only to be unable to do anything without a critical error popping up.

Last night I was reading a post from a formerly very active member who has been scarce for the better part of this year due to all the forum hiccups. It was funny several people posted that things around the site were working better, yet it took me three tries to post to his thread.:facepalm: I thought " yeah everything works great till you and the other members who have been gone due to site issues show up. Then it goes haywire again." It's really frustrating! It's like dealing with an intermittent engine problem. Sometimes it runs like a dream, other times you want to throw it off your transom and let it sink to the bottom of the lake.

I've not been in the computer field for nearly 20 years, and I have nothing but moral support to offer as the last system I worked on was a mainframe the size of my van. I hope last nights and this mornings hiccup was the soon to be end of the forum problems. I along with others I think, come here for information and relaxation. As well as the occasional spirited conversation:fencing:, but it's hard to be relaxed like this:ranger: when just logging onto the forum makes me feel like this:frusty:.

I'm getting ready to do some more work on one of my boats and I will post my progress here, but if it takes me an hour to make one post it's gonna be a long process.:blue:

It's just frustrating to have the best place on the web for anything boating to be so hard to navigate.:yield:

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

Dave.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Dave,

One thing that needs to be understood, that the problems are not always with iboats, since I posted my "frustrated" thread a few weeks ago, I have done some more digging, to find out, that our local ISP service has been having quite a bit of difficulty accessing certain websites on the internet. There are a lot of things that go into delivery content on the web and one of the most important ones, is the pipeline from you through your ISP to the website and normally there are thousands of things between you and the website that can go wrong. Where I live, my performance goes way down after 7 pm every single night, it is due to so many downloading movies from Netflix, Amazon Prime and a host of other video deliver systems taking up so much bandwidth, it pretty much clogs the pipe around here. You can only put so much water in a pipe before it starts to spit that water back at ya. Another time frame that I really take a hit in performance is when the NY Stock exchanges close up, so much traffic that things get overwhelmed, and I end up frighting to get where I need to go.

I have a server set up with this software, less any custom feature they have and the performance takes a hit every day at certain times.

southkogs

Staff member
Hey Dave:

Yours is a pretty good summary of the whole fracas from the forum upgrade through recently. MT made some really good points in his post too, and even the MODs have been frustrated trying to their jobs around the edges. All the kings horses and all the kings men are indeed working hard on the forum to get it running properly again.

MT's right about bandwidth. I've got 3 teenagers in the house and it's amazing to me how much content we can eat up down my cable. If half the houses in my neighborhood do the same thing my poor ISP has to be fighting hard to stay ahead of the delivery. From time to time, your ISP may well be the culprit and it's good to check your speeds when you can.

In the case of this weekend though, it probably wasn't your end. I don't know enough to be specific, but from what I understand iBoats was affected by an "attack" (best word I have to describe it) and that clobbered 'em on Sunday. I'm not sure what the residual mess was on Monday to clean up, but it was felt across the whole platform and even the MODs couldn't get anything done (and I usually don't have many problems with pages loading and such). As I understand it, the tech guys have put that fire out and we should be on the other side of that now. Take that with a grain of salt ... because I don't fully understand it :dizzy:.

HOWEVER - what might be unnoticed due to the punch we took over the weekend: in the last week or so the forum was upgraded and in that upgrade for a few days we had some exceptional performance. Behind the scenes there were some things that were moving MUCH more easily and in the topics themselves posts were happening really fast. If we've solved the "attack" issue, you should be able to see some improved performance in general. Most of us are too nervous to count chickens that aren't hatched yet, but the eggs look pretty good.

Thanks for hanging in with us ... I've been around for a while, and you're right: this is simply the best of the best when it comes to a place to get ideas, information, help and a thousand or so good friends.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Mt and southkogs i appreciate both of your posts. I do have issues at home with bandwith from time to time. We do have allot of streaming going on in our house. The biggest aggravation last night and this morning was at home I could go to other web sites with no issues, and when I logged on this morning at work it was on a different isp yet the problems persisted. That was the reason I got frustrated this morning. Like I said in my post I know the site problems are getting all the attention they can get. Sometimes iboats is my only relaxation/entertainment, and I get a little flustered when the site is jacked up. I will have to be more patient. I know things are getting better.:watermelon:

Thanks again for listening to my ramblings. Hope you all have a good week, and a great boating season.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Glad I'm not the only one with sporadic issues. I'm also glad I read this post. Now I know enough to just keep my mouth shut and deal with it. I know enough about computers to know I should stick to turning wrenches. :nerd: