emoticon issues

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Sometimes when I try to add an emoticon to a post everything I've already typed disappears, leaving only the emoticon. I always make sure my curser is blinking where I intend to add the emoticon, but I still have the problem, probably about 50% of the time. Any ideas? Thanks

Mikeopsycho

Windows 7 home premium, I'm not sure if this is what you're asking (computer wiz-kid here) lol.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've had similar issues. If I post any pictures, the emoticons are no longer available then. Not a biggy, just saying. I have had the entire post disappear, as Mike stated above. And some times I can hit restore when I get back to the comment section and get it back, or simply retype everything. IDK

southkogs

Staff member
Mike are you using the trackpad/mouse that's on the computer? What I've noticed can happen to folks is when they swipe the trackpad down, they inadvertently SELECT ALL of the text while they're "swiping." Do you use a separate mouse with your laptop?

Mikeopsycho

No tot the separate mouse, I use the trackpad gizmo, (didn't know that's what it's called). I don't follow what you mean here, "What I've noticed can happen to folks is when they swipe the trackpad down, they inadvertently SELECT ALL of the text while they're "swiping." " When I add the emoticon I just leave my curser where I want to place it then click on the one I want out of the choices offered on this site.

Mikeopsycho

I'm going to try and add a smiley here, :). Worked fine, this time.......

WIMUSKY

Staff member
No Title

I've had similar issues. If I post any pictures, the emoticons are no longer available then. Not a biggy, just saying. I have had the entire post disappear, as Mike stated above. And some times I can hit restore when I get back to the comment section and get it back, or simply retype everything. IDK

I added pic from FB, uploaded a pic(see bottom) from my pics to forum and added emoticons........ :faint2::laugh::bounce::bolt::boink:

Attachments

• photo203639.jpg
    photo203639.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
... I don't follow what you mean here ...
What I've seen happen to folks from time to time, is that when they move their finger from the track pad to go "click" (usually the buttons are below the touchpad) they accidentally drag their finger a little. The cursor drags with 'em and they wind up selecting text without noticing. Then when they click - in your case on a smiley - it replaces all of that highlighted text. (Couldn't find any good pictures of what I mean)

But the cursor does jump in the editor on the forums sometimes too.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WIMUSKY, thanks for trying out what I state had happen to me a few times. But honestly, I am not complaining in the least. I'm reasonably sure it is something I do incorrect nearly all the time. "facepalm: So thanks for your efforts, but don't go out of your way to try and fix things I state. It probably is not a problem but my fingers leaving my hands occasionally... :smash: I never was one to type proficiently or correct spelling too. :eyebrows: I used to have a lot of misspelled words until I adjusted my dictionary and added the correct spellings now. I solved that problem all by myself! :third:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That looks like the lures we use around here for Pike!

And Muskies!

WIMUSKY, thanks for trying out what I state had happen to me a few times. But honestly, I am not complaining in the least. I'm reasonably sure it is something I do incorrect nearly all the time. "facepalm: So thanks for your efforts, but don't go out of your way to try and fix things I state. It probably is not a problem but my fingers leaving my hands occasionally... :smash: I never was one to type proficiently or correct spelling too. :eyebrows: I used to have a lot of misspelled words until I adjusted my dictionary and added the correct spellings now. I solved that problem all by myself! :third:

No problem at all gm. I just wanted to make sure everything was working ok. Tried to replicate the issue.......:dance:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No tot the separate mouse, I use the trackpad gizmo, (didn't know that's what it's called). I don't follow what you mean here, "What I've noticed can happen to folks is when they swipe the trackpad down, they inadvertently SELECT ALL of the text while they're "swiping." " When I add the emoticon I just leave my curser where I want to place it then click on the one I want out of the choices offered on this site.

Mike - I think SK was referring to the touch pad. I bump my pad with my thumbs when I'm typing and it drives me crazy with the cursor jumping all over and text goes in all the wrong places.

lt.PNG

Mikeopsycho

I'm betting you guys are right! My curser jumps all over too when I'm typing, so I know I must be bumping or brushing against the touch pad when I type. Also, when I add a smiley I just put the arrow over the one I want and tap the touch pad. :cool: One tap on the pad, I just tried it, carefully. Maybe I should use the actual left button?

GA, I don't see the undo button on my set up. Would clicking this return my text? Is it easy to set up my laptop this way?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

southkogs

Staff member
You have to click the advanced editor button (underlined A next to the Smiley button upper left). That's when you'll see the undo arrow. CTRL+Z will do the same thing for you too.

Mikeopsycho

Oooooooh! I see. Thanks southkogs :joyous:. Ya learn something new every day, now I just gotta remember it :rolleyes:.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sometimes I forget to add the basics. Like how to turn on the light. :eek: Try the Undo the next time, it can save a lot of retyping. :smile:

Mikeopsycho

Thanks very much GA_Boater, it's all about saving on the typing. :smash: I think you just clap twice to turn on the light, don'tcha? :nod: