Where did the EDIT option go in old posts?

lakelover

Rear Admiral
I just edited an old post a few days ago and wanted to edit another one just now, but....no EDIT option or button or whatever you want to call it on the bottom any more? :roll:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
There's a 1hr time limit to edit posts. This started today. This keeps content from being edited out which then leads to replies that make no sense.... If you need a title changed or have a minor edit, please contact a Mod... Thanks...

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Lucky I got in my last edit to an old thread when I did. I had made an index of sorts on my 92-page project thread that was started in 2009.

The index became completely useless with the forum update when the default number of posts per page changed, so I was able to make the index a little more useful with my edit of 2/17/15.

This recent change doesn't make sense to me despite what you said about editing out material. I was always careful with my edits not to change anything that would change the flow of the discussion, only to correct or increase accuracy, so as far as I'm concerned a valuable and useful tool has been eliminated. Besides that, older threads are much more difficult to find by searching if no tags were used, so the ability to add tags is also gone.

But thanks for your answer.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I have to agree with lakelover to an extent. The ability of the op to edit his posts if nothing more than to clarify the post or make spelling corrections that get missed is gonna make for some interesting conversations. My spelling skills aren't to bad, but my iphone thinks it's auto correct is perfect.:facepalm: I try my best to read my posts for spelling and grammatical errors, but I don't always catch them right away. I guess I'll have to be more diligent.

Quick addition to the above. What about going back into our posts and updating pictures? Allot of members use photo hosting sites for their pictures. If the sites goes away, which has happened in the past, the member wont be able to upload new pictures to replace the ones that are lost. That in many cases will make threads less usable in my opinion. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
We understand your concerns. If all the members were like you guys this wouldn't have to be implemented. Trouble is, there are many post that get completely deleted by members. This will stop that process.

As far as typos etc, 1hr is more than enough time to fix them. I'm terrible with fat fingering typing. I always check over my post before I submit and also after. I still find typos after, but I fix them immediately. Even if I think of something more to add, usually it's within the first 10 minutes. If a member thinks of more information they want to post in a Topic after the 1hr timeline, just make a another post...

Wasn't aware of photo hosting sites going away. I use photobucket which is one of the more popular ones. I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon....

Last edited:

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think a time limit is a good compromise between sites that don't permit editing and those with no limits on editing.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Wasn't aware of photo hosting sites going away. I use photobucket which is one of the more popular ones. I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon....

Agree on Photobucket, but you never know. I remember a long time ago, a site called Baytown was a huge free photo hosting site that a good portion of ebay sellers used for their auctions. Then one day, POOF, it was gone, no explanations, no website, no recovering your photos etc. It's just the nature of the internet, too bad that happens. Causes a lot of havoc.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sometimes we need to make changes because a few members take advantage of a situation and stir the pot. Without going into details, this is what caused us to change the time limit for editing. Unfortunately, changes like these end up affecting responsible members as well. Yes, the good guys do pay the price!

Lake - Please check your messages.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Thanks, I get it and can live with the compromise. Appreciate your help!

Tnstratofam

Commander
I understand as well. By the way to all the Mod team, I wouldn't want your alls jobs but I do appreciate all you all do.:thumb: Thanks again. It can't be said enough you all have a lot on your plates.

aspeck

Staff member
Thanks for your understanding, guys. It is appreciated. The decision was a difficult one, with some recent events, we believe it is what is best for the forum population as a whole. Our members are what makes iboats so special!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I agree with the one hour limit. That's way more than other blog sites give. The only reason I could see needing to edit an old post is if my picture link changed and I am sure a mod would do that change for me if needed.

jbcurt00

Staff member
1hr, no hours,,unlimited hours, OK by me.

Thanks guys

I'd guess for 99.9% of my non-grammer/spellling edits i've always added:

EDIT:

To the front of any added or redacted text in my posts.

Guess from now on i need to be sure my posts arent tongue tied... or if from my cell, not thumb tied.... ;)

Jeep Man

Commander
Just tried to edit some bad grammar from a recent post. Guess I need to proof read sooner in the future. Completely understand why the change though.

LAcustoms

Seaman
Wow should have checked this thread... Ive been messaging toneeees about this. I personally like to edit my past posts fixing picture links, late night grammar mistakes, etc.

GA_Boater

Check right after you post, LA. You have an hour before the edit window closes. And previewing before posting the reply helps..............sometimes. :smile:

tpenfield

Staff member
Yea, I noticed the time limit as well, when I recently tried to correct some grammar on a several day old post. I can definitely appreciate the need to cement in what has been written, particularly in some 'colorful' dialogue situations.

So, good decision Mods & Admins. Just something to keep in mind with the proof reading during and right after posting.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I replied to getting old thread in the 7 day cruise thread by accident, can you remove it please as their is no edit button available.

Thank you

GA_Boater

I replied to getting old thread in the 7 day cruise thread by accident, can you remove it please as their is no edit button available.

Thank you

POOF! jbcurt took care of you, rbh.