Upgrade issues list .....low priority

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
GA_Boater, I understand what you are saying and didn't know it has to be clicked on EVERY TIME. I figured since it knows me enough to provide my user name once I enter my first letter, AND my password, that it knew me very well... I'll try again clicking that "remember me" box and see if that solves the problem. But why even have such an option in the first place? I don't understand... One other question, is this software written in VB and is it one person doing the updates and such? Okay that actually was two questions... :facepalm:

that auto fill is a browser setting not a forum setting. As far as way the option I've seen some use it so they can come back and invisibly read reply to crap they posted (not here other forums) otherwise I'm not sure just standard.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Only one question allowed per day, gm. Come back tomorrow. :lol:

I see your confusion. When you start to type your username and it completes or automatically fills in the password, that's all in your browser settings to save passwords and the like. What remember does on the forum side is turn off a "keep alive" time that would log you off after a preset time it you don't check it and stay active. Why do we have a "remember me" choice? It's sort of an Internet tradition, most forums have it and I know in my case, many places I log into, even my email program, have some form of remember me or keep me logged in. One other reason is to reduce load on the forum. If every member was kept logged on automatically, the software would have to keep tabs on tens of thousands of users and it slows the forum down. I hope that explains some of it.

Being in a generous mood and TGIF. :joyous: VB isn't a software program as such. It's a group of this and a little bit of that working together to function as the forum. It is made up of Javascript, HTML, data bases and much. much more. All these are combined into what's sold as Virtual Bulletin. All the interaction between the various bits and pieces makes the sum total a powerful, complex forum tool. VB does have a large support staff to write the code, debug it and make it work. The problem is all the small parts don't always see eye to eye and we have the glitches because some tiny piece written by Programmer A is looking for something from a piece written by Programmer B. Unfortunately the first program was looking for a potato and the second sent a tomato. This is simplistic explanation of an extremely complex operation.

It isn't always easy to tie all the parts together to operate seamlessly. Hope that helps some, gm.

toneeees

Administrator
I could increase the time out time a bit longer than 15 minutes. I'll chat with our IT guys on Monday.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
toneeees, honestly don't change it for my benefit. If it isn't an issue with other, then I can live with it after understanding how to avoid it now... Thanks for the thought though.

jbcurt00

Staff member
My laptop's HDD failed a few weeks ago, so it got a new warranty replacement HDD and I just got a new desktop at home. I have them both setup as I always do, Firefox as my default browser w/ the same add-ons as previous computers.

I have been getting LOTS of working lag on both computers for much of the last week, and although many of the posts were pix and format rich, several of the last lags were long enough that I was concerned I hadn't copied the body of the posts prior to hitting the Post Reply button. In fact most of them required me to hit f5 to reload the page. The window that refreshed showed my unposted reply still in the Write something box. A quick check in a new tab showed that all had posted correctly, and I did not have to re-post the messages. :confused::confused:

It was a particularly long lag just now when I started the SOTY 2014 Winner topic in the Starcraft forum.

Thanks to the IT minions working under the hood all the same ;)

EDIT: there was a slight lag posting this, but no working

Last edited:

toneeees

Administrator
I just added a new section that could explain the lag, also I was working on adding new tracking to the forums last week. Could be the cause for some lag. I'll try and stay away from any changes the rest of the week, let me know if it keeps happening.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
only 'lag' i've see recently is when clicking go to new post it would never lead. Had to go to page one of the thread, on the funny CL ads for example. Happened on 3-4 threads friday/saturday morning

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hmm, not sure what maintenance was performed on Wed am, but it made the lag and 'working' take longer to resolve.

Forum home and Topic pages are both slower to load, often MUCH slower.

I also got the dreaded (and long absent) Error Posting message posting this reply just now:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...27#post9248227

In fact, once I hit OK to clear the error message, clicked the main Resto forum heading link at the top of the page to see if my post actually did post, the page wouldn't load.

Perhaps the minions are still working.....

EDIT: only a slight lag posting this message

RE-EDIT: longer lag to post the edited message above

toneeees

Administrator
Our IT guy installed a security patch, restarted some machines, etc.. He turned our caching machine back on this morning, hopefully things pick back up.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Last few days, working lag has been getting worse, and more frequent across both computers I use. Today it was long enough I thought my reply might not post.

Oddly, on my cell, it has seemed to be working faster.... ????.... All except accessing my Messages via my cellphone. That's usually painfully slow.....

Thanks

jbcurt00

Staff member
Did the contact a MOD list get moved during the redo? Used to be at the bottom of the main forum homepage, didn't see it just now

jbcurt00

Staff member
Did the auto-save function also disappear in the most recent update to the vB5 software?

I've been posting from an unfamiliar laptop the last couple days, and I have no idea what I touched or let my sweaty palms come into contact w/ on the touch/mouse pad, but I've lost posts before I was done w/ them when the page refreshed or tabbed back.

I know the refresh is something on my end, but it was nice having some portion of a post auto-saved so that it was still there if the refresh happened in the past, and it did when I 1st switched to a laptop as my primary computer, quite frequently actually :facepalm: :watermelon:

Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Auto Save has been on and off several times because it has been one of the "usual suspects" for some of the forum oddities such as frozen pages and even lost posts. I do believe it is off right now. Not sure if it was turned on after the last update to see if there was any improvement.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah found that out the hard way yesterday lost a post i spend 15 minutes putting together.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I restarted my computer this am and that seems to have eliminated some of the formatting errors I was getting on some of the forum homepages, but now i notice that the fourm hompage's listings aren't refreshing and up to date w/ most current poster..... Topics seemed to be ordered in the correct way, most recently posted to Topic at the top, but the user, time and date of that post aren't correct.
screen_zpszlyvppcv.jpg

Bob_VT posted the last reply to this topic ^^^

screen2_zps3oeyuwdh.jpg

A repeat of a previous problem post most recent update to vB5 software? Or did restarting my computer not flush the cache? Firefox did reload the tabs I had open once computer rebooted..........

Last edited:

toneeees

Administrator
I restarted my computer this am and that seems to have eliminated some of the formatting errors I was getting on some of the forum homepages, but now i notice that the fourm hompage's listings aren't refreshing and up to date w/ most current poster..... Topics seemed to be ordered in the correct way, most recently posted to Topic at the top, but the user, time and date of that post aren't correct.
screen_zpszlyvppcv.jpg

Bob_VT posted the last reply to this topic ^^^

screen2_zps3oeyuwdh.jpg

A repeat of a previous problem post most recent update to vB5 software? Or did restarting my computer not flush the cache? Firefox did reload the tabs I had open once computer rebooted..........

This is another caching issue. I'll see if we can play with the settings a bit. Unfortunately, caching is needed with such a large forum. Without it, things would load much slower.

DayCruiser

Ensign
This forum is so aggravatingly slow!! I admit I don't have the fastest connection but I don't have problems like this on any other forum. I click on page one of a thread and have to wait close to 5 minutes for it to load before I can get page 2 or any other page to work. I quit coming to the forum for awhile and now checked back in and nothing has improved. You think another page you have clicked on is loading but noooo the same page is still loading. Then you have the confusing subscriber button. Think you have unsubscribed but you haven't. I can't even read other pages in this thread so after wait forever to get the 1st page to load, I am making this post.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
it just started slowing on me a few minutes ago but has been fine all morning. How long have you been slow?

DayCruiser

Ensign
I had to go out for something. I hadn't been on for very long. Just a minute ago this last page loaded pretty fast. After I made a post it took me back to page one of the thread. Clicked on the last page a couple of times and nothing happened. 3rd time is loaded close to instantly. For the forum to work for me it can't be this hit and miss

Status
Not open for further replies.