new iboats site

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
How much feedback yall want? Now that I've got a 'new' boat I'm shopping and noticed the link.

Linking to the 'forums' there is nowhere to log in to the forum side, it wants the shopping side login. Looks like yall put in a saved copy of the forums from May so assuming that is a WIP and I see where kogs_south and madeupname have been testing. OMC theradd? Really, that's the best you could do?? :D

Also the same search term returns different results between the two, and on the new there is no (i think it is called) thread links at the top - where is would say (and be clickable) home>trailers> wiring>blah>blah

Right now I'm searching 'boat jacks'

Old site returns a bunch of different items but includes a couple of the actual item I am after so I can click on one of the them then use the thread hyperliniks to back up to the general area for trailer jacks. like this while I am looking at one particular Fulton product I can click on Trailer Jacks and then I can see all kinds of trailer jacks. Like this: Fly South>Trailering>Jacks>Trailer Jacks

The new site does not have the links to click to get to the general area it just shows Home>(specific product name) like this: Home> Fulton XP10 1000lb Trailer Tongue Jack, Boxed

On the new site 'boat jacks' returns 0 results. Of course using a much better search of 'trailer jacks' returns better results on both old and new.

I do like being able to filter to ratings and price ranges. Very amazon of you... I would like to be able to input my own, custom price range.

Anyway, my feedback thus far. Anything else irritating enough I'll let you know, if you want continued feedback.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well, I tested 'boat jack' several times and zero results. Now it is returning results....

One change from then, when I input the search term it asked me to look in 'shop'. Now it is giving 'trailers' as an option.

so - thanks for the quick work on fixing!!!!

(this is why I hate it when they want me to UAT new stuff at work)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joe, I think they are only focused on format currently vs content. new site is flashy..... give you that. more flash than function. clicked on the advice link and the formatting leave a bit to be desired.

I personally like my buyin' sites to be laid out like McMaster Carr. start typing what you want and the window on the left brings up your choices, with quick click filters

southkogs

Staff member
How much feedback yall want? Now that I've got a 'new' boat I'm shopping and noticed the link.
Well ... whaddya' know? I was kinda' surprised to see that live too :)

I'm sure they'll want feedback, so this might become a sticky in the near future. I'm gonna' let it ride as is for the time being though. I know there has been a considerable amount of research into what type of site they wanted to pursue. The interaction between the retails side and the forum side it pretty interesting. I'm kinda' like Scott, a more find it fast - know what I'm looking for - sort of experience. But sooooooo much these days is built on social media platforms that dinosaurs like me are having to learn new ways to shop.

More to be revealed ... and feel free to chime in ...

Looks like yall put in a saved copy of the forums from May so assuming that is a WIP and I see where kogs_south and madeupname have been testing. OMC theradd? Really, that's the best you could do?? :D
Hey! A topic on a Stringer drive suffering from an inferiority complex was at least an entertaining idea, right? ;) (yeah, yeah, pile on ... let's go) :D

Scott Danforth

Staff member
only noobs and inexperienced like social media flashyness.

these are the same people that cant function without a carp-ton of apps on their smartphones and who go into a depression if their selfies dont get a like.....

if I have to work hard get thru flashy sites to buy parts, I buy elsewhere. I no longer buy parts at AutoZone, Advanced Auto, etc. for that reason..... they flashed up the sites, and you can no longer search for parts easy.

main_900.jpg

547ce8203e390fd563d620ac66e36a25.jpg

Scott Danforth

Staff member
New mobile site will take a bit to get used to it

tpenfield

Staff member
OK, I have been busy re-building a couple of snowblowers and have not been 'up' on the news of the new site.

First impressions . . . very nice :thumb:

I was able to navigate around and figure things out. I set up my background image and re-uploaded my avatar. Answered a few threads so far. I have not posted any pictures yet. I did notice that the reply post did the "working" thing for quite some time.

Anyway, Me like :D

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the recent post thingy is gone, not sure if its coming back. the font contrast leaves a bit to be desired. Ted, try it on a mobile device....font colors leave a bit to be desired.

alldodge

Staff member
Initial though is like the looks don't care so much for the functionality.
No notifications for messaging but may come back later.
Word rap is not working, have to make the zoom above 125% in order to get a bar so I can go to the right to read the full massage
Try to find website link and had to select "fish and more - All" in order to bring it up

southkogs

Staff member
the recent post thingy is gone, not sure if its coming back.
Don't know if it'll be back like it was before, but if you click on your login icon (upper right) - then click on the "Activity" tab, you can see your recent posts.

Just realized that it doesn't seem to show if anyone has posted after you ... sorry Scott, not quite the same thing.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Erik...... maybe it will come back......at least its not auto-subscribing to every thread like it did about 5-6 years ago

jbcurt00

Staff member
My recent posts bookmark works to load only the recent posts.

https://forums.iboats.com/search?searchJSON=%7B"last"%3A%7B"from"%3A"lastDay"%7D%2C"view"%3A"topic"%2C"starter_only"%3A+1%2C"sort"%3A%7B"lastcontent"%3A"desc"%7D%2C"exclude_type"%3A%5B"vBForum_PrivateMessage"%5D%7D

Not surr that cobbledy kook ^^^ will let you load the recent posts page and then create your own bookmark

tpenfield

Staff member
For recent posts, it seems you can still go to 'my messages' and click the 'posts' link on the left. Also on the Main Forums page there are still the 'new posts' and 'todays posts' links.

So I'm finding my way around OK. The text color is a bit light, as Scott had mentioned, particularly on the mobile version.

My overall impressions are that the forums aspect is much more blended with the product sales aspects of the site, which is probably a good thing, since the sales keeps things financially sound.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
navigating to the messages/post simply brings up a random list of things you posted on. they are not in alphabetical or chronological order. they could be in the order of the 2nd letter of everyones mothers maiden sir name, however I cant figure out how they are ordered. on mine, the first link down is something i just posted, 2nd is an answer on a post from a day ago, 3rd link down is something I posted about a week and a half ago, 4th is your response here Ted... no rhyme or reason to the order.

the recent activity simply shows the last posts that we make, however doesnt have indication that anyone else posted. It may be helpful if your looking for something you did a while ago, however does nothing to keep track of conversations unless you subscribe to them.

changing the font color from grey to black would help crispen up the text. not enough contrast between white and grey to keep it readable.

there is a different font color, size, and font in the message window you type in than there is in the completed posts. the windows are different sizes. This is especially noticeable on the phone where you type with minuscule text and the post shows up like giant playschool lettering

i know the iboats admin crew are busy with 1's and 0's trying to make it all work. it will take a bit of time.

alldodge

Staff member
Would upload a pic to show what I'm seeing, but does not have the upload button, only URL. Also unable to get a bar at the bottom so I can drag the window to the right to see the rest. Also on post with many pages I don't see all the numbers, nor can I move to the last page because the "next page" isn't there

The site went back to my old email address instead of my newer one, this is why I'm not getting notifications. Tried to change it and it said CONTACT Administrator

southkogs

Staff member
Photos work a little differently now - I'm still figuring some of that out, but what has been working:
  • Click the Upload Attachment icon at the top of the editor (1st of the three on the upper right)
  • A dialogue will then appear at the bottom of the editor with two buttons. Select "Upload Attachments"
  • Navigate to your image and select it. Once it uploads, you'll need to select "small," "Medium" or "Large" (Large has been working for me) - and it then places the image in the post.
That should get an image up for you.

alldodge

Staff member
Photos work a little differently now - I'm still figuring some of that out, but what has been working:
  • Click the Upload Attachment icon at the top of the editor (1st of the three on the upper right)
  • A dialogue will then appear at the bottom of the editor with two buttons. Select "Upload Attachments"
  • Navigate to your image and select it. Once it uploads, you'll need to select "small," "Medium" or "Large" (Large has been working for me) - and it then places the image in the post.
That should get an image up for you.

Tried the attachment the last time and it just hung up, screen turns gray and it stops working.

Appreciate looking into the issue, hope the guys can fix it. Same thing happened to heavy equipment forum and lasted so long that some of the old timers gave up and left.

alldodge

Staff member
Starting to see the whole page and didn't receive anything from iboats_tim , but did see something from Tim on a ski handle thread but when the link but the link is broken. Still unable to receive responses from iboats on old or new email, and no change on being able to update profile